Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Question

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser LTD with 101,000 miles of which about 75,000 are highway miles. I have been reading in the forum about replacing timing belt, water pump, etc. My question is would you all recommend I do so as I am planning on keeping my Cruiser for awhile.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Question

No doubt. Those components will probably not last another 100k. I spent about $400 on timing components, belts, and motor mounts.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 07:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I would also say yes.Timing belts are not made to last forever and it will break eventually.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Better that you do preventative maintenance than have the belt break while your out driving around and have to be towed home or to your chosen shop. The water pump which does wear out is in the same area as the timing belt and it takes the same 5 to 7 hours of labor to do each separately so we recommend doing both at the same time. Chrysler updated the tensioner for the timing belt in 2004. It's not that much so you might as well upgrade to the new one.

If you have the money, both serpentine and alternator belts have to be taken off for the timing belt job so go ahead and throw new ones on although they can be done later.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What kind of price are we talking about for parts and/or labor?
Old 07 Jan 2012, 08:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I guess it depends on where you take it.I have heard of people paying from $700 to $1100 including labor.If you can do it yourself you could probably do it for less than $350.
Old 08 Jan 2012, 08:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I received quotes as low as $600 for belt and pump only. I plan on keeping mine so I changed everything in the area including the center motor mount. I love working on cars so I did the work myself. It's very tight and a lot of items need to be moved to access the front of the engine. Plan on spending $1000 or more for a complete repair.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Agree with what you have already seen. Shop in my area was running $1,000 to $1,200... only 75K miles here, so that will probably be next year's tax money.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I let the dealer do it but I asked around a number of places till I found a mechanic that was totally familiar with doing that job. $1200 for all the parts I mentioned plus new gasket at the crank seal which he found (and pointed out to me). Lots of bad stories about the car not being right after the timing belt changed. I do a lot of maintenance but decided to let someone with real experience on that particular project handle it. That mechanic is now the only one I let touch my PT and Vette with the things I don't do myself and works side jobs out of his house. Saves me a bunch of $$.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 09:54 pm
Young Cruiser

i say yes to, i didn't do mine and 130,000 Miles it snapped on high way, it broke all my valves in motor and had to get a new engine , the timing belt would have only been 40$