Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
brake part question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2012, 07:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default brake part question

I was checking my brake pads on my '03 PT today and found a broken cable that's bolted to the lower end of the strut and has what looks like a flat electrical type connector at the other end in the inner fender wall. What is this cable for, and does it need immediate replacement? I couldn't find anything on this cable in my repair manual. Thanks
Old 08 Jan 2012, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: brake part question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcuda View Post
I was checking my brake pads on my '03 PT today and found a broken cable that's bolted to the lower end of the strut and has what looks like a flat electrical type connector at the other end in the inner fender wall. What is this cable for, and does it need immediate replacement? I couldn't find anything on this cable in my repair manual. Thanks
It's the ground cable....

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 08 Jan 2012, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto. Because you have dissimilar metals spinning on that hub, they generate quite a bit of a "floating current". With the sensitivity of the computers and stereos in so many cars, it's always a very good idea to keep as many parts grounded as possible. These grounds tend to be taken off, cut off, and left off. In my humble opinion, that's idiotic and leads to possible future problems.

My suggestion, go get you some good, rustproof braided shield cable/ground cable. Clean up the connection points, crimp on a good lug at each end and reground it. Do all four corners! Just my suggestion, take it or leave it.

oh, wait, wrong ground kit....lmao...

For under $20, you can buy a really nice ground kit from Andy's AutoSport (good vendor).
Old 09 Jan 2012, 05:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks. It's a ground cable huh? In all the times I've changed the snow tires each season this is the first time I've seen it there. I will repair that one and check the other cables.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 05:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like the ground cable that has been mentioned. Its purpose is to eliminate radio noise and pitting of the wheel bearings. If you have ABS, there is also an ABS sensor cable down there but if it were broken you should get an ABS warning light.