PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to disconnect IAT plug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2012, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to disconnect IAT plug

2005 Turbo.
Want to install new spark plugs and spark plug wires. Need to unplug the IAT, but am stymied.

Found the little red tab and pulled it out toward IAT harness. Plug still seems locked on though I can wiggle it. If I loosen the little black side tabs on the side of the plug ,it doesn't loosen the plug.

Is there some other release mechanism on this little bugger? Don't want to break anything.
Think I figured out how to remove the throttle and cruise cables and the plastic trim cover over the manifold. Just can't get that IAT plug off.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: How to disconnect IAT plug

TTT. Hope you folks can guide me on this.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not familiar with turbo model, but there is a 'press' tab on all sensors.
Push it on slightly to release tension on clip, then depress, then pull.

Old 20 Jan 2012, 02:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshiel View Post
2005 Turbo.
Want to install new spark plugs and spark plug wires. Need to unplug the IAT, but am stymied.

Found the little red tab and pulled it out toward IAT harness. Plug still seems locked on though I can wiggle it. If I loosen the little black side tabs on the side of the plug ,it doesn't loosen the plug.

Is there some other release mechanism on this little bugger? Don't want to break anything.
Think I figured out how to remove the throttle and cruise cables and the plastic trim cover over the manifold. Just can't get that IAT plug off.
I don't seem to have an Inlet Air Temp (IAT) on my 2003 Turbo, but there is a connector on the MAP sensor that sounds suspiciously like the one you describe. I'm including a photo below.

But I'm having the same trouble with it as you are with the IAT. I have a background in electronics and have not been able to get the friggin' thing off. The black plastic thing with tabs on the sides at the back is just a cable clamp to hold the wires in the connector. The white nylon tab in the center on the top at the back catches on the red plastic tab inside the nylon connector housing. Pressing down on it releases the catch, which in my thinking should allow you to pull the connector off. Maybe it is just stuck, but like you, I don't want to break it. Not sure how you managed to pull the red tab back, but if it is pulled back, the nylon tab wouldn't be caught on it anymore and the connector should come off.

Maybe a kind soul will respond with some help here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.JPG (24.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 20 Jan 2012, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From Haynes:

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 03:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply. I thought that was how it was supposed to work, but in my case the red tab won't slide back w/o lifting it off the nylon tab inside the connector with a small screwdriver. The connector then slid right off when I pressed the nylon tab.

BTW, the reason I tried to remove it was because the service manual said I had to when changing the plugs. I managed to work around it and get them changed with no problem. Well, none other than the oil in the #1 plug chamber, off topic here and discussed in another thread on this forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 04:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

On any / all those red plastic 'locks', just remove them. The connector won't come off accidentally.

I do wonder the reason for these- near all connectors have them, obviously the injector connectors do, but if you pull a 2.7 intake (Injectors are literally 'buried' under the manifold) they don't have them.

Leads me to believe it's a type of 'tamper-proof' for dummies or something.
Connectors will break when they get old/ hard trying to get these off.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think you can just pull and gently twist the entire sensor from the air hose. There is no grommet--but be easy with it.

Tim
Old 20 Jan 2012, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I think you can just pull and gently twist the entire sensor from the air hose. There is no grommet--but be easy with it.

Tim
True, there's no separate grommet, it's built into the ribbed hose. I've taken the whole sensor out many times. BUT be careful, the small red tip of the sensor that's inside the ribbed hose is easy to break off and if it does, the whole sensor needs to be replaced and I think someone said you have to buy the sensor with the wiring harness.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[ changed with no problem. Well, none other than the oil in the #1 plug chamber, off topic here and discussed in another thread on this forum.[/QUOTE]

Now would be a perfect time to install a valve cover gasket set to cure this with all the stuff you have off all ready. Just say'n