PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2012, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Puddin
Unhappy After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

After I washed my 04. I was drove for about 10 miles, the engine lite came on and 1 block later it started chugging. But only when I was accelerating, going up hill and when the lite turned green. I had no problem *CRUISING* at 40 or so. The lite stayed steady on so I skipped dog class and came home. What is going on? I dont want to get ripped off tomorrow! It's no charge for the codes, $19 for a diagnostic and $19 off the repair. I need my boy to run asap. I am a new CRUISER with only 5000 mile under my belt. Anything will help

Last edited by Puddin; 09 Jan 2012 at 09:53 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 09 Jan 2012, 10:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

Error Codes

You can get the code and then we can assist. It maybe a simple fix.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 09 Jan 2012 at 10:36 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 12:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

where 'bouts you live in wi?
Old 10 Jan 2012, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

Compdr59 : I will be there at 8am central to get the codes Then I'll BB
Soyomp: I live in New Berlin Wi (Waukesha County)
I would Love everything to be ok today, but I am on a run of bad luck right now and this don't look promising.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Puddin,

Did you wash your engine while doing the rest of the car? If not, washing it probably had nothing to do with the problem your having. As compdr59 suggested, find the fault codes and come back to the forum and we'll try and help you fix your PT.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Neon spark plug tubes would fill up with water after engine bay washing.
in '01 Chrylser made valve cover wells deeper so there's less chance of that, but you can still do it.

And a little bit will cause steam in the well, so it runs well at first ... Then gets worse.

4 Shure do the keydance thing- No need for diagnostic fees
Old 10 Jan 2012, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: After a car wash my 04 PT gave me the Engine lite and stated chugging

So I am *so far* happy to say that code P0340 is the problem. As I have read here that is a common code to happen to an 04 From what I was told it had nothing to do with the car wash *no engine wash* . They are replacing 2 sensors, a CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT and the one down stream from that for $223. I read that PT owners that have only replaced one usually have to go back for the second.
I hope I did the right thing If I find out that I could have put this in myself I will be totally upset
Come back you people and tell my honestly if I was ripped . I love this place. So far 3 people have tried to help that I didn't even know Thank YOU
Old 10 Jan 2012, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well im a tad confused if the code was a poo304 why di they replace the cam and a 02 sensor im not sure why

the 02 sensor ismkind of hard if you dont ahve a lift the cam is a 5 minute job but again not sure why they replaced both and do you know if they used genunin MOPAR sensor's---if not they will most likely go out again quickly or they may not work at all
Old 10 Jan 2012, 03:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Sorry to say it but the camshaft sensor is $50 and 15 min to change ...Oh make sure you use a sensor from the Dealer, because PTs don't like aftermarket sensors
Old 10 Jan 2012, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As XtmDC2 just said, the fault code P0340 is the Camshaft sensor.

Now you did say they replaced the Camshaft Position sensor Circuit so that's good but there is no sensor "downstream" of that except when they talk "downstream" they usually mean the Oxygen Sensor down by the CAT, which shouldn't have to be replaced. $223 is probably what a normal dealer would charge for both sensors but as was said, you could have done the Camshaft sensor for a lot less and NOT do the other.

Your problem should be cured but next time bring any fault codes to us for help.

This picture shows some of the sensors and things that go bad in the engine. The CMP is the Camshaft Position Sensor which is what your code was for.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Jan 2012 at 04:09 pm.