PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motorad Fail-Safe Thermostats....not a wise decision....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2012, 10:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Motorad Fail-Safe Thermostats....not a wise decision....

This is the second one I purchase.

The first one did work as advertised, when I initially hunted for my cooling issue.

After installing a rebuilt head and new components to alleviate future issues, I decided that it would be a good ideal to use it again. It has worked as normal for a week now. This morning, I stated the car as normal and waited about a minute before taking off. Just about a few minutes into the drive, I notice that my temp gauge didn't move. At first, I thought it was the new sensor I purchased. Then a few minutes later, at the next light, with some street traffic, the temp gauge came up to a quarter. So, the new temp sensor is working....minus that issue.

My drive to work is about an hour with heavy stop and go traffic, and with some good normal highway speed flow. The car did try to get to normal, but when traffic flowed, it shot right down to cold again.

Now that indicated to me, that the thermostat is stuck open.

Okay, one more test. I got to the office and parked, let the car idle and get to temperature. It did and stayed at the normal half way point.

I just read thought some post from the Ford forums to the Mazda forums. I've read post from engine builders that approached Motorad directly with this issue, with no resolution.

My resolution...going back to the factory MOPAR thermostat that was made in Mexico....lol.... The original OEM one lasted 90k, so....I'll just stick with that.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 11 Jan 2012, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motorad Fail-Safe Thermostats....not a wise decision....

mine did the same thing however i am glad it stuck OPEN and not closed i replaced it with another and it works as it shoud
Old 11 Jan 2012, 02:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
mine did the same thing however i am glad it stuck OPEN and not closed i replaced it with another and it works as it shoud
I might do the same.

From calling the dealer, the OEM thermostat cost $28!!!.....

From recollection, the actual first thermostat that I replaced was a Gates unit, which did work perfectly fine.....thou it wasn't a fail safe, it did work until the head gasket went....

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 11 Jan 2012, 03:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

I called Autozone (whom I purchased it from). I spoke to the manager and advised him of the problem. He advised that the thermostats are not warranted, but since I purchased it last week, they can do an exchange....

PHEW!!!! Going to give it another try......

Old 11 Jan 2012, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds like a good deal give it a try if it sticks at least it will b open
Old 11 Jan 2012, 03:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

True....so true....

Old 13 Jan 2012, 01:52 am
Regular Cruiser

The Autozone manager swapped it the bad and handed me the new one. It went in and works.....I hope for more than a week.....

Lets see....