Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Light On

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2012, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Light On

My friend borrowed my 2002 Pt cruiser. It had the original battery in it. I knew it was getting bad, but as a joke I wanted to see how long the battery would last. Anyway, he parked the car and left the lights on. Came out and car would not start as you can imagine. He is a handy guy and has helped me with mechanical work when I needed help. Anyway, feeling bad, he decided to replace the battery and I don't know how it happened but he installed it backwards. As he told me, when he connected the positive terminal, the horn started going off and something started smoking from under the car. He immediately disconnected the terminal and realizing what he had done installed the battery the correct way. Unfortunately, the battery light came on on the way home and he decided to bring it to a shop near my home. The diagnosed the problem as the alternator. I told him to bring the car to my house and I would install the alternator(have to say I did not know, how difficult it is to replace one in this car). Anyway, within 5 hours, with his help, we replaced the alternator and I decided to replace the negative battery cable(which I got from a junk yard), because it was in bad shape from battery acid and the terminal at the angle was cracking in half. I also replace the belts while I was there. Everything went pretty smooth considering what a pain it was to replace. I had the alternator tested and it was indeed bad, I checked the wiring and nothing seemed burnt and nothing was brittle. Unfortunately, the light still comes on and I cannot figure out why. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 04:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Light On

The voltage regulator is in the PCM (computer)...it could be toast due to the reversal of polarity...just a guess.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was thinking that might be the case as well. Like you said, Im just guessing as well. If it was the problem, would the alternator read o.k. or will it give a false reading on a diagnostic machine?
Old 12 Jan 2012, 05:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The PCM senses system line voltage and provides signals to the alternator field to control charging voltage as well as to illuminate the battery light (if necessary). If either or both of these functions are inop then, unfortunately, the PCM is probably defective. This is assuming the alternator itself is OK, but you said you already replaced it.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just another thought after looking again at your original post... you mention smoke coming from under the car. Check the fusible link to the alternator...it is the green wire...it may have burnt open...you might just get lucky here if that is the only other damage that was done.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 07:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Any update on this...did you check the fusible link?