Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sea foaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default sea foaming

was thinking of sea foaming the pt to clean everything out. I was reading the can and it suggests putting it in the gas tank, in the oil and then through the vacuum lines. What line do I pop off to put it through?

Old 12 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: sea foaming

I've used it in my fuel and oil, and run it through the lines for the PCV and the make-up air line, but never in the vac lines. I'm concerned that it may dry them out and advance rot. Not sure if that's true or not, but since I don't pull my vac lines often, I'm not too concerned about them being clogged up.

Now, if you run it through your oil lines, I do NOT suggest you leave it for long, especially if you are driving a turbo! What I suggest to everyone about that is a half can in the oil, the other half in the gas. Then you need to go drive your car for about an hour. I would say 20 minutes minimum, best would be a trip down the highway. You need to really heat it up and get the oil flowing. The reason you don't want to leave it in is that you can break free sludge and all kinds of carp that can lodge in your system.

So, I run that half can in my oil, go run 30 minutes up into the mountains and back again then change the oil as soon as it's cool enough to touch. With the oil still pretty hot, you can see crud flowing out of your oil pan. And I've been doing this for oh maybe 25 years now.

For the turbos, you REALLY don't want to leave it in your oil. It can break through some of the coking that occurs in the oil lines to the turbo, and you definitely don't want that crud floating around in your system.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: sea foaming

i meant to say I wanted to put it through the pcv system lol. Where do I pull the line? right by the pcv valve?