PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06' GT Going Stage 1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2012, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06' GT Going Stage 1?

Hello All,
I just joined this wonderful place and have not had time to tootle around gathering a ton of intel. But of course, I'm right away drawn to.... MORE POWER!! So my question is simply (or not!):

What is Stage 1 on a stock 230 Horse 2.4L, What does it consists of, how much does it cost, is it a factory kit from Chrysler and does the dealer install if you are not inclined to do it yourself, what is the realistic performance increase expectation, any other info you are kind enough to include? Thank you.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06' GT Going Stage 1?

I think it's doubtful that you're going to find the PCM for an '06 Stage 1. They are really hard to find. The question then becomes - do you want to spend the money and time trying to find the PCM, or do you want to go with the DiabloSport Predator. Personally, I'm running the DSP and wouldn't have it any other way. But, big butt there, I'm running the G288 Getrag manual tranny. If you're running an automatic, the DSP does nothing for your shift points and tranny sync, so you have a big decision to make on which way to go.

You won't need to improve your injectors for S1, you already have the right size. You may want to go for an aftermarket WGA. You will DEFINITELY need to get boost and AFR gauges. Without those, any tuning can and will likely lead to either grenading or canonading your engine. You will want to go with high performance plug wires, like the Granatelli's, and better plugs along with a smaller spark gap, say 0.035 rather than the factory 0.050. Do NOT touch your coil - the factory coil on the GT's is better than most aftermarket coils. You will need to go either with a CAI or modify your airbox to allow it to breathe more easily and with a drop-in K&N. I would HIGHLY suggest modifying the make-up air hose by either taking it through a catch can or running it separate from your airbox, as when you're running at S1 and getting on the throttle you'll be throwing oil up into it like crazy. There are many other mods you'll want to consider if you want to go S1. Suspension, ride height, vehicle weight, etc.

After you get all the basics complete, you will really need to get on someone's dyno and tune that puppy. I wouldn't do that by myself but with someone who knows the PT and has tuned them in the past. Add to it, never run less than 91 octane after that.

So it's kind of a long story, going to S1, and not just something where you buy a kit and over the weekend you're done. Cost, well it's not cheap. You will get between 255 - 260 bhp when complete, and quite likely more than that if you do a good dyno tune.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chrome! I appreciate the info. As I know, you know. I have a lot to learn.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCRUISER2006 View Post
Thanks Chrome! I appreciate the info. As I know, you know. I have a lot to learn.
Believe me, it's a fun car to learn on. If you have a laptop, you can get the DSP and find yourself an out of the way street, an old runway, etc. Hook up your DSP to the car OMB port, then to the puter. You can do pulls while logging the data and immediately make adjustments, then pull again to see how well your adjustment was. Kind of an interesting way to get to learn your engine and it's programming.