PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2012, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Issues?

Hello.
First, I am new to this forum so this is my first post. I bought my 2004 PT cruiser (which I absolutely love) about a month ago. The car had over 100,000 miles on it already. Every time I search for something about the car, I find this forum so I decided to join it.

Here is my question. My crusier ran fine the first couple of weeks. Now, I am having issues with it. I hear a metal grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine every time I get in and drive it for the first time of the day, regardless of warm or cold weather. Sometimes the noise is like popcorn popping (only metal popcorn). On New Year's day, I stalled the car at a light (it's a manual) and each time I turned it back on, it instantly died. My hubby puched me into a gas station where we sat for about 10 minutes and the car eventually started up again. The car idles very rough, and I can hear the engine struggle with the idling, almost like it wants to die then the engine revs a little and does this cycle while in nuetral until I put it into gear and drive. And now the A/c is cutting out every now and then and when running it in the higher settings, it causes my rpm's to boost up and my engine starts to struggle.

I did take the car to the place where I bought it since there was a 30 day warranty. However, they told me in the 4 days they had it, they didn't once hear the noises I was talking about, and they said it runs perfectly fine. They said they took out the frion and measured it to make sure it matches what the manufacturer calls for and it did so they said there should be nothing wrong with the A/C. They didn't notice the engine issues I told them about, the noises, anything. They cleaned the throttle (without calling me to tell me it needed to be done, asking for consent and and giving me an estimate) but slapped me with a $195 bill for only the cleaning. After telling them they should have given me an estimate, and I was upset about being charged for repairs that I didn't even bring the car in for, and wasn't told about, they knocked the bill down to $110. When I got in my car, started it up to drive home, I heard the exact same noise that it made that I was telling them about and the car still idles really rough and I felt like it is now running the same, if not worse, and I have to pay for the cleaning. I was amazed that I heard the noise right off the bat and in four days they heard nothing. Plus, they told me the car was running excellent, very smooth, etc and it's not.

So my question is if the problems my cruiser is having are common problems? I am concerned it's indicating the engine is having issues and might be going out soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 13 Jan 2012, 01:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Issues?

Few questions...with a car with 100k miles, did you do the timing belt change yet? ($1000-$1200 job) Did you do a tune up yet? (like spark plugs and wires, PCV valve, air filter)
Old 13 Jan 2012, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to say it, but being a woman, they took advantage of you. You should have taken someone with you who's familiar with the problems and make them hear it before you drove off. Like XtrmDC2 said, there's a major job at 100,000 miles that I bet wasn't done before you bought it so that's your first big expense. Also, like he said, a change of fluids, plugs and wires is always the first thing you want to do when buying a used car. You have no idea how the first or second owner treated the car. You need to find a trusted mechanic that know a little about the PT and go over each item you found and fix it if you intends to keep the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tips. I figured that was the case. Luckily I haven't paid the invoice so I might still try to dipsute what they charged me. From what I have read on here, that is a quick job so I was way overcharged. I have no intent on having repairs done there again and will be researching reliable mechanics that know about my cruiser. I'll definitely look into getting the suggested things done (fluids, plugs, etc). I want to keep my car as good as it can be at this point.