Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Vibration after new engine mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2012, 11:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Vibration after new engine mounts

Question....

I just changed the upper and lower mounts yesterday, the top one was destroyed, the lower was just separating, so now I have new one in.

I set the top one to the 119mm spacing.

Now that they are TIGHT and not falling apart there is a vibration that can be felt in the car and through the steering wheel when at idle in "Drive" or "Reverse".

I think it might have calmed down a little after an hour drive yesterday but still present.

Will this go away? Is there something I need to do? or is this just what I have to deal with?

Thanks!!
Old 15 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration after new engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
Question....

I just changed the upper and lower mounts yesterday, the top one was destroyed, the lower was just separating, so now I have new one in.

I set the top one to the 119mm spacing.

Now that they are TIGHT and not falling apart there is a vibration that can be felt in the car and through the steering wheel when at idle in "Drive" or "Reverse".

I think it might have calmed down a little after an hour drive yesterday but still present.

Will this go away? Is there something I need to do? or is this just what I have to deal with?

Thanks!!
Did you set the upper at 119mm and THEN you centered the bottom mount and tight it? The common mistake is to tight the bottom one, then set the upper to 119mm while stretching and keeping under tension the bottom mount.
The other problem is that if you used aftermarket mounts they tend to be a little stiffer than OEM.
But if you did everything right, give them some time to soften a little.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Xtrm has a good point about keeping both upper and lower mounts (struts) loose as you attain the 119 mm distance. Did you also jack up only the very front of the engine while setting the 119? The point is to tilt the front of the engine only to achieve the 119 mm distance.

Also, if you purchased better (non-OEM) struts, they'll be stiffer and produce a slight vibration at idle that you didn't feel before. You get some vibes, but your struts will last far longer than the originals.

Tim
Old 15 Jan 2012, 08:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys....here is what I did.

I supported the motor with the jack at the very front.
I removed the old mount, and then reinstalled the new mount.
I set it to 119mm and tightened.

I then jacked the car up, put it on stands, and then supported the motor again.
I removed the lower mount and reinstalled the new one, tightened.

Done.

This AM it was shakin' like a bastard, but as I drove it and it warmed up, it got better but never went away completely.

Check this video out of this AM, lol
PT Cruiser Vibration - YouTube
It didn't stay like this after it warmed up thought, but was still present to the feel.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Two things:

The first, you need to loosen each strut's mounting bolts at the same time before doing your 119 (4.70 inches) adjustment. That's the way the manual reads. Also, do you have the diagram to show you exactly which bolt center and bracket hole to use to get your 119 mm adjustment? If you have this confused, you didn't get your 119. But assuming you are measuring from the right bracket hole to the center of the back upper strut mounting bolt, you still may have gotten it wrong, simply because you didn't loosen your lower strut's mounting bolts while doing this procedure.

Also, did you happen to put very stiff inserts into your struts? I just used Duralast struts (they are stiffer than OEM, but not so stiff as to make the keys dance and jangle like yours). If you put in very still inserts, you may just have to live with the vibration.

But my best guess is that you need to do the 119 mm thing all over again--but with all mounting bolts loose at the same time.

Tim
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Didn't want to keep hi-jacking Jimmy2011's thread, I have now performed the adjustment yet again, seems a little better? but not gone, and if the A/C comes on, shakes lots worse.

Has to be the motor mounts I am using.

I guess I won't recommend these:

Anchor Mount Engine-Transmission Part No. 2949
Buy Anchor Mount Engine-Transmission 2949 at Advance Auto Parts

Anchor Mount Engine-Transmission Part No. 2948
Buy Anchor Mount Engine-Transmission 2948 at Advance Auto Parts
Old 20 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Capri, I just re-read the post you put above my last one (not your last one, but your previous one). In your previous post you stated that you had loosened and adjusted--then tightened the upper strut to 119 mm; then you put in your new lower mount and tightened it up. If I read this correctly, you didn't loosen and tighten, both your upper and lower struts at the same time. This scenario amounts to attempting to, say, adjusting an alternator by simply turning the adjustment bolt--without, first, loosening the pivot bolt.

You need to re-loosen your upper and lower struts simutaneously--then jack up the front of your engine to achieve the 119 mm (or 4.70 inch) adjustment. Then tighten your upper strut first. Then go down and re-tighten your lower strut.

It may be that you got your upper strut to the right adjustment, but since you didn't have the lower strut loose at the same time, you merely squinched in the rubber on the lower (not yet loosened) mount. So, even if your upper mount is at 119 mm., your lower mount ended up not centered where it should have been.

Could it also be possible that your center engine mount is shot? Well, that's another issue. But in the meantime, make sure you do the adjustment like I mentioned above. If this doesn't work, go buy the Duralast brand at Autozone that I bought. I know for certain that those struts work without shaking your teeth out--A/C on, or not.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 20 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Sorry for the confusion Tim.

I did have all points loose with the engine supported, tightened the top one, then while still supported I did the lower one.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 02:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would say something is still not quite right there. I have a 5 speed so the vibration is a bit less overall but even with the Energy Suspension inserts in both torque struts it's not as bad as in your video even with the a/c on.
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Feb 2012, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Capriman86,

Something to read.....

Anchor Motor mounts just bad??? or Bad batch???
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html