PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
overheating problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2012, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile overheating problem

hi all
great site.....hoping for any ideas to help with my pt.....timing belt broke....had it replaced along with water pump and belt tensioner.....

after this it started to over heat when driving down the road.....it would get hot then cool down with in 20 seconds......i get hot then cold air from heater.......my garage replaced thremostat and radiator cap......was good for 4 weeks.....now doing it again......its over heating but the upper radiator hose is cold along with radiator cap

thanks for any help
Old 15 Jan 2012, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: overheating problem

Sounds like you might have trapped air in the coolant system. Also make sure your fan is working properly. Two speeds on the fan if it's not a turbo. To get some ideas, use the search on the forum and use "overheating" for the search criteria.

Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 05:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, exactly as Crewzin said- Claasic symptoms.

Here's how to bleed, it actually a Neon with a PT connector, but same idea: (10MM socket size)

Here's the connector naked:

Sometimes that air comes from combustion gasses leaking past headgasket

Last edited by UptownSport; 15 Jan 2012 at 06:02 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 09:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wood, if bleeding doesn't do the trick, I'd begin to suspect your new water pump. Your air goes from hot to cold; your upper raidiator hose is cold? Sounds like the water pump is not cranking that hot water to your radiator or heater. But it could just need bleeding; so hope that doing so does the trick.

Tim
Old 15 Jan 2012, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

was wondering about that water pump.......didnt have any probs with heating till the belt broke.....i had the garage replace the pump to be on the save side......ran good for a week ....then problems started...first time it went to hot but came right down to normal.........second time the lost my heat but the temp gauge went to the cold range.....i pulled over and shut it off......smoke was coming from under the hood......felt the radiater hoses they were stone cold along with the rad cap.........after a couple of minutes i turn key to on.....and the temp gauge was red lined........
Old 15 Jan 2012, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

after all that i had it towed back to garage.....they put the new thermostat and rad cap on it........
Old 23 Jan 2012, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

HI TO ALL!

We have had the same problems and exact same repairs as the OP. I found out some interesting information today from the radiator shop we had been using. The shop told us originally to replace the radiator cap and to get one from any auto supply place. Well, when we took it back in for the same problem (overheating 20 minutes or so after we get on the road with it, then cooling off, then overheading ), the shop had it over heat on them when they tried it. They concluded that the radiator reservoir housing is warped and that the only caps that will fit it properly and keep the coolant in is the FACTORY CAP! They told us to go by one from the dealership and try it and if that didn't work, they would have to rebuild the housing. We took it back in today for brake work (bought the cap on Friday; today is Monday) and had them look at it...LOOKS GOOD! They say that they had this problem with a PT Cruiser once before, but had forgotten about this solution.

When we had to get all that other stuff fixed before, we used another shop. I believe they must have used a cheap cap when they replaced stuff before :-) and we just kept on using it. Then, we replaced their cheap cap with another cheap cap. Our fingers are crossed that changing to the dealer cap does the trick! I'll keep you posted.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

wow that would be great if it fixed my problem.........really sucks cause i didnt have problem till i had the water pump replaced
Old 23 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I understand. It is rather frustrating (is your problem fixed, by the way?). We had the water pump, timing belt, radiator, radiator hose and some other stuff fixed, too . I hope this is the end of all of this foolishness for us.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslip View Post
wow that would be great if it fixed my problem.........really sucks cause i didnt have problem till i had the water pump replaced

I understand. It is rather frustrating (is your problem fixed, by the way?). We had the water pump, timing belt, radiator, radiator hose and some other stuff fixed, too . I hope this is the end of all of this foolishness for us.