Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt starting and driving issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt starting and driving issues

Hi, I have a 05 base edition and it has a chattering noise when starting and persists for a second or so then goes away. Then sometimes while idling at a stoplight I hear the same noise, even with the A/C off. With the A/C on its worse. But while driving it runs fine up until I get on the interstate, then while the engine is doing about 2500 rpms or greater, when I let off the gas i hear the same noise but faster. It runs fine as long as the rpms stay below 2500. I kind of thought it might be a heat shield on the exhaust, but I checked that. Plus I thought it might the drive belt tensioner, so I replaced it, but it still does it. I even took the belt off the p/s and a/c to see if it was either one of those, but still heard the same sound at start up. Could it be the knock sensor. It's not throwing me any trouble codes.