Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another overheating thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2012, 02:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Unhappy Another overheating thread...

More of a rant here... but I thought I'd share.

I've never had any temperature issues with my '07 PT. The temp needle always sat right in the middle of the gauge.

Yesterday morning, it rose almost all the way to "H"! I was driving about 120km/h (70mph) so I slowed down to around 90km/h (50mph) and the needle came down.

Tonight, the same thing happens. Anything over 90km/h and the needle starts going up. The temp light actually came on today. Slowing down let the engine cool off. RMP's are normal, so the automatic transmission isn't slipping.

In city traffic the temps seem fine, so I don't think it's a fan issue. The heater works fine, so I think that there is plenty of coolant.

Last few days it's been about -30'C around here (-22'F for the Yanks), so I'm thinking I have a frozen radiator, but shouldn't it thaw out eventually?

I'll be taking an "official" look at it tomorrow in the daylight to see just what's happening.

Any idea where I should start to look?

Thanks!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another overheating thread...

The faster you go the faster the water circulates around the engine. Any blockage will cause the water to slow down and not properly cool the engine. You might have it right about the radiator but not ice, debris could be blocking the inside. Ever change coolant? Did you use the right HOAT orange coolant that's recommended?

Also, next time it starts to overheat, throw on your heater (if it's not already on) inside the car. The heater in your car uses engine heat to warm air in the cabin. Running your heater full blast takes a significant amount of heat away from the engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Jan 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Calab,

You're right to suspect radiator freezing. At those speeds coolant is nearly at ambient temp, which, as you've said is *#*$*@*$ cold!
Engines are ingesting raw, cold air and fuel, all the draft is frigid, so the engine may not be producing enough heat to even open the t-stat until you're really working it, THEN the radiator comes into play.

My coolant isn't sufficient for even low single digits, so I end up playing this game everytime temp drops- Your symptoms are 'classic' of a froze radiator.

I'd place cardboard in front of radiator, and have coolant freezing temp tested with a cheapy or spectrometer.
As Crewzin said, they recommend a specific type of coolant, I'd assume it's good for such low temps!!!

The way to unthaw radiator is to pour hot water over it.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 04:42 am
Regular Cruiser

*Sigh*

The coolant level was low... It was dark so I couldn't tell how low though. I assume that the coolant dumped out of the overflow bottle with the rad being frozen up.

I topped it up and tried to drive home... STILL heating up. I'm hoping that it's just a bubble in the system.

It's -32'C right now... MUCH too cold to do anything with it. It should be warming up on the weekend.

Wish me luck.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 03:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Good luck. I know life SUCKS when it's that cool. It makes me happy just to be in a warm place, as I have being stranded as LETHAL in that temp in my mind.
Old 01 Feb 2012, 03:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Just to follow up... The car is fine now. It just froze up and blew out a lot of coolant. Once it thawed I had no issues.

As for pouring hot water over the rad to thaw it... HOW? You can't get to the rad!

Tags
overheating, temp, temperature