Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2012, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default More Power

Can anybody give me some advice on what mods to do to the 2.4 engine to increase the bhp apart from the usual air filter, exhaust, & plugs?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: More Power

If it's a non-turbo, not much. Save your money for something else, unless that money is pouring out of your pockets, then the sky is the limit. Old addage: money equals speed, how much do you want to spend?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 05:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Spend a fortune and you will still be disappointed. The PT nonturbo is a great cruiser, but a slow one.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well i agree with what has been said but if you just want somehing to get it up to speed a 75 shot of nitrous will do it but if you mean something for just normal driving saddly its not going to happen with a non turbo
Old 17 Jan 2012, 09:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yikes!

My little 2.0 Neon really moves, I've gotten it to 13.8 on stock cams, no 'naws', etc.

What helps is a manual transmission (Be good if we could get old tests, ATX vs MTX), Milling head (This is pretty cheap, but most of us don't remove the cylinder head just for fun, tho) if you can get E-85, you can remove the headgasket 'shim' (If you're interested I'll link to a write up), use 2.0 DOHC Cams (Cheap) (See Neons.org for more info).

There is a 4.11 gearset, but it's practically unavailable.

Unfortunately a Long tube header isn't readily available for this chassis, people say the Neon one won't fit the chassis. You could try to get one custom made; prolly $500 for a good 10HP

I've never really liked this engine vs. the 2.0, but NOT because it's anemic- The cylinder head is of an *excellent* design, bar none. It flows well, is capable of very, very high RPM's, and with 2.0 flattop pistons the chamber design is as good as you are going to get. Plus, it's much, much more less prone to warpage than the old 2.2/2.5.

Neon had several PCM's available, Chrysler sold their own, ans Gary Howell offered the AF/x R. The latter was an exceptional PCM, finally went MegaSquirt but still recall the day I'd installed it!!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

And I quote from "chromenut" (circa: 4/20/11)........ LOL!

It's basically a three step process. Make sure your car is cool and hasn't been run.

Step 1 - remove the radiator cap
Step 2 - Drive turbo model PT under it
Step 3 - install radiator cap

That's about it. You can try and play with lots of things but you're not going to get too far with the NA PT in regards to increasing horsepower.

If you're wanting to be a drag racer, or a time attack dude, then take out the back seats, lighten everything up as much as you can, remove any interior plastic that is not absolutely necessary, remove any loads off the engine that aren't necessary, like air conditioner, etc. Get a larger throttle body or extension, add in a free flowing filter system either CAI with snorkle, or mod your air box and a good drop-in.

Drop the ride height, stiffen the suspension, better tires/wheels, better brakes (yes, stopping is as important as going fast), and that about does it. There is not a lot of things that can be spelled out for increasing the HP on an NA PT. Just not.... I'm just sayin....

Last edited by fabreezai; 17 Jan 2012 at 10:58 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

After owning an original 2001 and putting 100k miles on it, I knew my next one had to have a Turbo. The convertible part was a midlife crisis thing. After 100k of the Lite Turbo, I've ordered a Stage 1. Not sure if I need the extra HP, but it will be fun to drive. I can also blame XTRMDC2 for putting these ideas into my head. Thanks Gus.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 17 Jan 2012 at 11:32 pm.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Yikes!

My little 2.0 Neon really moves, I've gotten it to 13.8 on stock cams, no 'naws', etc.

What helps is a manual transmission (Be good if we could get old tests, ATX vs MTX), Milling head (This is pretty cheap, but most of us don't remove the cylinder head just for fun, tho) if you can get E-85, you can remove the headgasket 'shim' (If you're interested I'll link to a write up), use 2.0 DOHC Cams (Cheap) (See Neons.org for more info).

There is a 4.11 gearset, but it's practically unavailable.

Unfortunately a Long tube header isn't readily available for this chassis, people say the Neon one won't fit the chassis. You could try to get one custom made; prolly $500 for a good 10HP

I've never really liked this engine vs. the 2.0, but NOT because it's anemic- The cylinder head is of an *excellent* design, bar none. It flows well, is capable of very, very high RPM's, and with 2.0 flattop pistons the chamber design is as good as you are going to get. Plus, it's much, much more less prone to warpage than the old 2.2/2.5.

Neon had several PCM's available, Chrysler sold their own, ans Gary Howell offered the AF/x R. The latter was an exceptional PCM, finally went MegaSquirt but still recall the day I'd installed it!!
You forgot the part about removing 500 lbs of weight. You can't really compare a neon to a heavy PT.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 01:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

More like :cough: :cough: 1200 lbs :cough: :cough:

Was just pointing out that even the smaller version of the 2.4 is very potent-

I agree with fabreezai, weight redux is a primary; but gut a PT like a Neon, and it kinda stops being a PT ...

Also note the 2.4 is LOTS bigger than a 2.0, and that long stoke is a big help in moving a heavier chassis.

Guys get well over 200HP pretty EZ outa a N/A 2.4, and have for some time.

Obviously, a turbocharger-thingy will add unlimited amounts of power, but we sure had fun as kids modding our Mom's old 318 Gran Fury, wasn't an "A" body, or a 340 or 360, but we got it to move pretty good.
It's not that you have the fastest (you never will) it's that you can say you did this yourself, whipping 'Brent' in his Porsche is kinda fun, too.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 03:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

After looking and asking questions it appears that the turbo version was not released in the uk so buying a turbo version is out of the question. I'd be happy with 200+ if poss. Any links to parts suppliers would be a great help.