Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dumb Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2012, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dumb Question

If your car is running hot shouldn't you hear a fan running after the car is turned off? I'm think I have a fan problem because I have to run the heater while driving or it will over heat. Not sure what kind of fan I need to get. 2004 cruiser.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dumb Question

If you have a non-turbo, you have a 2-speed fan. They can be picked up on eBay pretty easily. I'm pretty sure the fan doesn't continue to run after the key is turned off. Some car do but as far as I know, the PT doesn't.

There's a number of reasons the engine will overheat, the fan being the biggest factor in overheating but being low on coolant, cracked head gasket, water pump not running, trapped air in the coolant system, bad thermostat and clogged radiator are other causes.

If you think it's the fan, take a ride and keep the PT above 35mph. The computer shuts down the fan at that speed because it's not needed. Enough air coming in the front of the car to keep everything cool. If the temp stays in the middle but heats up when you slow down or stop, it's probably your fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying so quickly. I am going broke trying to get my car fixed. If I take it to the dealer can't they tell me exactly whats wrong by putting it on a diaognostic machine? I take it to all these mechanics and they say oh it's the water pump. I replace that, then that don't work so I replace the radiator, then the thermostat, then the pump again . I took off work again today and I have to get this taken care of. I appreciate your advise.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Always come here for advice with a problem. Doesn't cost a dime unless you'd care to donate a few $$$$. Only kidding. Advice is always free. We can help with instructions on installing your new fan if it turns out to be the problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee2 View Post
Thanks for replying so quickly. I am going broke trying to get my car fixed. If I take it to the dealer can't they tell me exactly whats wrong by putting it on a diaognostic machine? I take it to all these mechanics and they say oh it's the water pump. I replace that, then that don't work so I replace the radiator, then the thermostat, then the pump again . I took off work again today and I have to get this taken care of. I appreciate your advise.
Where are you located? Sometimes a list member will have some spare time. Not often, but possible. Or they can suggest a good local garage.