Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
COOLANT SHOWER, need to dry off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2012, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default COOLANT SHOWER, need to dry off!

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser, approx 109,000 miles. Today i was driving and stopped at a stop light and all of a sudden my hood is smoking like Vesuvius on a bad day. I pull over to check out whats up and there is just coolant everywhere. under my car i looks like ol bruiser wet himself with coolant. Could this be a radiator problem or maybe a messed up hose. Im not mechanically inclined neither do i have much cash to pay for tows to a garage. Can someone pls help me out with what it could be and the best course of action! Thx Peace
Old 20 Jan 2012, 09:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: COOLANT SHOWER, need to dry off!

You pretty much answered your own questions:
It can be a radiator, a hose, water pump, thermostat housing, etc...
You don't have money for a tow or a mechanic....
but since you are not mechanical inclined , how you are going to know what to fix?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When the PT overheats, the easiest way for the coolant to get out of the system is through the overflow bottle. The plastic snap cap gives way easily and coolant flys out the neck of the bottle all over the upper manifold and down to the ground at every space around the engine. Happened to mine when the radiator fan burnt out.

Look at the overflow bottle to see if the cap is not snapped shut and that would be your indication of where the coolant came from.

That doesn't say why your PT overheated as there's a dozen ways for it to happen. You might not have to tow it if you let it cool down and add some more coolant to the radiator to get you back home or wherever you need to go.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well. . . . I recently this week got it out of the shop because they needed to replace the thermohousing, the mechanic told me that was the issue with me hearing a boiling noise right behind the steering wheel. He said there wasn't any pressure and i had to replace the part to make it stop making the bubbly sound. This happened tuesday and i got my car back wednesday. It ran fine then, all of a sudden coolant was just everywhere like something just let it all out thank your for the help
Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The thermostat housing doesn't go bad so he probably replace the thermostat itself. Hopefully he bleed the system of excess air, that would cause it to overheat. I'd give him a call, tell him whatever he did the first time didn't stop the bubbling and overheating and you lost most of your coolant.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Make sure the mechanic puts in HOAT coolant and not Dex-Cool. Dex-Cool will eventually clog up the radiator and cause other damage. But, Dex-Cool is a little less expensive.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Also feel free to replace your radiator cap if it hasnt been. Its a super inexpensive thing to get and it helps eliminate that issue (even though I doubt thats it)

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you do put coolant in it and drive it make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge. This can go up very quick. If it dose pull over an turn it off till it cools on the gauge before going again.
The water neck that holds the thermostat in is made of plastic and do fail and could loose pressure but not with out losing coolant as well.