Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing belt '03 turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2012, 01:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt '03 turbo

First time poster, although have been lurking...

Timing belt went on my '03 PT Turbo 5 speed. Between my book, and studying here, I have it torn down. Am wondering what to look at on the engine before getting parts...

- Car died in parking lot. Wife came out of store, started car, put in reverse, and was starting to let clutch out when it just died. Car is just over 115k miles.
- It threw code for cam/crank sensor
- Before tear down, pulled the cam sensor. Turned motor over, but cam did not turn.
- Just got everything off the engine. The timing belt was stripped clean at the crank pulley
- After removing the belt, the motor turned over easy by hand
- Since the belt stripped at the crank pulley, I feared maybe the cams/valves were frozen. Both cams turn over fine.

What else to check?

Plan is to replace belt, belt tensioner, water pump, water hoses

Have lots of experience working on cars, tractor ect(I'm a regular over on Tractorbynet). Built Jeeps ect, but this is the first work this car has required beside oil change, tires, plugs and filters.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt '03 turbo

Look for oil in the belt area. Cam & crank seals wouldn't hurt, valve cover seals, while your there. Also check your belts and plugs.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

No oil in there, just belt dust. I had replaced the serpentine and alternator belts a year ago; will do those again anyways, since it is torn down.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope things go smooth for ya. Post pics as you go for everyone.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A few threads in the Tech & Performance section of the forum under the "HOW TO" thread on replacing the timing belt. They might give you an idea of what your up against and some tips and tricks on doing the job.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I spent a while in there digesting all that info before starting on the project.

The biggest issue I have ran in to, is the PT engine compartment being tighter than anything else have have ever worked on or seen.

As long as it is apart, doing all belts, Rad hoses(I actually pulled the radiator to make room... when I had my '79 Trans-Am, I had someone else change the plugs by the air cond pump; I physically could not get my large hands in there). Will do plugs. Found upper torque strut rubber is broken; will replace that. Water pump as long as it is torn apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A few threads in the Tech & Performance section of the forum under the "HOW TO" thread on replacing the timing belt. They might give you an idea of what your up against and some tips and tricks on doing the job.