Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Going Broke with my Hiccuping PT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2012, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Going Broke with my Hiccuping PT!

Hi. My name is Julia and I am desperate for opinions/advice. Forgive me if I don't seem too car savvy... I know enough not to sound dumb, but not enough to figure out what to ask/tell/suggest to the dealer.

My PT is a 2002, automatic trans ...

I bought the car, used, about a year ago. I currently have about 54,500 miles on it.

The problem:
The car started to what I can only describe as "hiccupping" ... there would be a shake or hiccup and the car would die. The engine dying would only happen after coming to a stop, then hiccup, then die. It would start right up again but just die as I tried to continue.

I took it to a mechanic who replaced both the cam and crankshaft sensors.

Same problem occured again.

Took it back ... he said the parts were good and replaced something he called the crankshaft sensor connector.

Same problem AGAIN.

Skipped that mechanic and went to dealer ...

They could not duplicate the problem, but said they "inspected and found shorted and leaking crankshaft sensor" ... thus they replaced the "new" sensor.

They also found and replaced broken engine mounts at the same time.

SAME PROBLEM AGAIN ... grrrrrrrr.

Took it back to dealer...

They couldn't duplicate the problem ... but replaced plugs and wires.

All of this has taken place in the span of fewer than 60 days!

I am STILL having the same problem...the "hiccups" ... but tonight the check engine light came on (at least that's something new )

One really frustrating problem, in addition to the obvious one, is that the dealer can never seem to experience the same "hiccup" or engine failure when they drive the car.

Anyone here able to shed some light? Or have suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 05:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Going Broke with my Hiccuping PT!

If the engine light came on the computer should have set a fault code. That code will help us, help you.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the mean time you could try some fuel injector cleaner. Won't hurt even it its not the cure. Seafoam is highly recommended, although the cheep stuff has worked well for me. You should still get the code read & post it.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 09:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

The dealer doesn't have to experience the same problem. He has a diagnostic machine that will tell him most anything that is causing your problem. For example, some of these dealers seem to think they have to pump up your flat tire, just to see if the air will run out of it again. Well, air goes out one hole or another. They should be looking for the hole--not the same result.

That being said, retrieve your fault codes, via the instructions given by Crewzin. Have a pen and pad ready when you run the procedure discribed in the link he gave you, as there may be more than one fault code that shows up on your odometer (and they pop up very quickly before the word "Done" shows up).

Are you sure this "hiccupping" is not more like a stutter? As in, the car acts like its "chug-chug-chugging" before it dies?

Anyway, do the code dance described, and see what you come up with.

Tim
Old 24 Jan 2012, 09:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

If the CEL is on there should be codes.

Maybe the crank sensor is bad. Need the codes.

ALso did they use a Mopar OEM sensor or aftermarket parts store?

Insist on Mopar only for sensors or you can wind up with intermitant problems.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 24 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all of the quick responses!

I have done the "turn the key" dance and the code that came up was a P code 1391 ... it never did show "done" however if that is of significance.

The dealer did run diagnostics to check for codes and NONE were showing at any time I took it in, so this code is a new thing since the check engine light came on last night.

Oh, another code (P 1684) came up...but is that significant? I read on here somewhere that it is not.

The crankshaft sensor was replaced ...twice. I was told the part(s) was OEM.

Note to mdfrodolives... it is hard to say "hiccup" vs "chug-chug-chugging" but it dies ONLY after I've come to a full stop...

Thanks again.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 09:06 am
Senior Cruiser

The 1391 means EITHER the cam or the crank sensor is intermittent, but doesn't say which.

sounds like they changed one, cam and maybe the other is the issue. Or there could be a problem with the wiring or connector(s) to either sensor.

The other code 1684 means they disconnected the battery and the power to the PCM was cut at some point during the last 100 or so key cycles.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
The 1391 means EITHER the cam or the crank sensor is intermittent, but doesn't say which.

sounds like they changed one, cam and maybe the other is the issue. Or there could be a problem with the wiring or connector(s) to either sensor.
My understanding is that both were changed (one, the crankshaft sensor, twice) as well as a connector. Do you think that in light of the new parts being replaced twice within a three week time span, that something could be "shorting" out or otherwise affecting the part? I'm sorry if I don't sound too knowledgeable re the engine...I'm just learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
The other code 1684 means they disconnected the battery and the power to the PCM was cut at some point during the last 100 or so key cycles.
Is this something that needs resetting?

I sure do appreciate the feedback from all of you. I'm enjoying the little bits I've been able to investigate on this forum.

I really like driving the PT, and would hate to have to give up on the thing. I love that it's roomy in spite of it's smallish appearance. My dogs love to ride...and it holds my mother, who has limited mobility issues, quite comfortably.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 03:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

This is what I read:
Mechanic replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors ( almost 100% sure he used aftermarket)...then the dealer replaced the crankshaft sensor ( I'm pretty sure they use OEM )....

So, why don't you get a new OEM camshaft sensor and replace it, just to rule that out?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

In some things it is better to buy Original parts instead of aftermarket. Sometime it cost more but they seem to last longer and less problems, and I repeat sometimes. Had to put that in before someone comes in and starts in saying something about original.. I think that XtrmDC has a good idea to replace the other sensor with an OEM and then see if you still are throwing a code. Hope you get the problem solved and you will learn over time little thing you can work on. Most people either love um or hate um. Me I love um.