Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with auto Trannys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with auto Trannys?

We have a 2008 PT with a manual trans. I am looking at another PT to buy that has a Auto Trans, this one is a 2010. Looking back thru some older PT article on line the earlier PT has some Auto Tranny issues . But do the newer ones still have these same problems? Thanks for the help.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with auto Trannys?

Should be noticed that the manual trans are not without there problems. Check the forum. I have a friend with a 2001 PT with 190k, with no trans problems. Chrysler made thousands of automatics. Most come here with a problem they need help with. Those numbers are (in the scheme of things) a small percentage of the Pt population. I feel both are very reliable overall in all years. The timing belt maintenance is probably a more important concern when buying. This just my 2 cents! Happy hunting.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Should be noticed that the manual trans are not without there problems. Check the forum. I have a friend with a 2001 PT with 190k, with no trans problems. Chrysler made thousands of automatics. Most come here with a problem they need help with. Those numbers are (in the scheme of things) a small percentage of the Pt population. I feel both are very reliable overall in all years. The timing belt maintenance is probably a more important concern when buying. This just my 2 cents! Happy hunting.
No, the problem is all of the people who have had problems with the auto tranny that don't post on the forums. The tow truck driver told my wife he should write a thank note to Chrysler for their crappy automatic transmissions as he "tows em all the time".
Old 25 Jan 2012, 08:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You are right 2004GTMAN...I'll post my experience: my wife's 01 N/A PT transmission went at 78k miles, cost me $1600 but with 130k miles is still running good....Before that car, she had a Dodge Caravan ( probably same tranny ) and the transmission went at 96k miles
Old 25 Jan 2012, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
No, the problem is all of the people who have had problems with the auto tranny that don't post on the forums. The tow truck driver told my wife he should write a thank note to Chrysler for their crappy automatic transmissions as he "tows em all the time".
I have seen a few cases like yours. Most others have never had a service and worse yet most never get fluid checked on a regular bases. Leaks are common for some reason. I'm sure you guys check yours & do the maintenance. But I do see lot of these trannys with high millage and never been opened also.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 25 Jan 2012 at 08:19 pm.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 10:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

In my case I always do the required maintenance....even thought that my tranny guy told me to dump the fluid and filter once a year or 12k miles.

The main problem with these transmissions are the weak forth gear, so that's why you should treat it with love and don't boost in forth gear.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feed back. When I bought the 08' I was aware of the Timing Belt issue, that is why thought of the buying the Chevy HHR. Every car has the qurkies. And of course regular maintenance plays a big part in making things last longer. I have Dodge/Cummins 3500 with 136K and knock on wood the 48RE trans is still going great. The biggest problem I have had with it is the A/C and water pumps.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 03:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have seen a few cases like yours. Most have never had a service and worse yet most never get fluid checked on a regular bases. Leaks are common for some reason. I'm sure you guys check yours & do the maintenance. But I do see lot of these trannys with high millage and never been opened also.
Cases like mine? You don't know me. The '01 was serviced by the dealer and well taken care of. At 82k the auto tranny died. When we bought my '04 auto GT I spoke with the service manager about the 41TE. Off the record he told me to alternate every 30k with a drain and fill and a full flush. He said service was needed more often than Chrysler said it did. While he wouldn't say there was a problem with the 41TE, he wouldn't deny it either. He also said he would deny telling me what he did to any higher ups. So with the alternating 30k service my tranny just hit 155k. So the 41TE is a crap shoot. Some will, some won't. Now don't even talk about the 40TE with two less clutch packs that they cheaply put in the later PT models. Lots of luck with that.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 07:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I went 112k on my 2001 before I sold it and it was the original transmission. My 2005 has 110k and is fine too. I notice on my 2005, the fluid doesn't get hot. Every time I check the fluid level, the dipstick is not hot. I'll keep my finger crossed on that one. They say the common cause of failure is the use of the wrong fluid. ATF+4 only.....

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Cases like mine? You don't know me. The '01 was serviced by the dealer and well taken care of. At 82k the auto tranny died. When we bought my '04 auto GT I spoke with the service manager about the 41TE. Off the record he told me to alternate every 30k with a drain and fill and a full flush. He said service was needed more often than Chrysler said it did. While he wouldn't say there was a problem with the 41TE, he wouldn't deny it either. He also said he would deny telling me what he did to any higher ups. So with the alternating 30k service my tranny just hit 155k. So the 41TE is a crap shoot. Some will, some won't. Now don't even talk about the 40TE with two less clutch packs that they cheaply put in the later PT models. Lots of luck with that.
No I don't know you. And if I was wrong in assuming you were one of the ones who actually maintains your car properly and still has an issue then forgive me. But I can see your confusion. Leading into the next sentence didn't read as clear as it sounded in my head at the time. Should have read:Most others ..... Sorry you thought I was bad mouthing you. We good?