PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To all with an opinon... I need a little help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation To all with an opinon... I need a little help...

I have a '01 PT Limited, 5-speed.
My sister and I, bought it last year around this time. about a month after we bought it, it started to have over heating issues. I did everything short of replacing the head. I'll start at the top.

REPLACED W/ NEW
1. water pump,timing tension pulley, timing belt
2. thermastat
3. heater core
4. radiator
5. radiator fan and motor
6. temp sensor
7. high and low speed fan relays
8. back flush the system, (shortly after having this done, water in the oil)
9. compression test
10. head gasket
(all my electronics are dealer parts)
(head gasket is MOPAR PERFORMANCE)

Together my sister and I have invested lots and lots of time, hard work, and money, into our Cruizer. About a month after putting the head gasket on and the car running at its best, it quit on us. Everything i've done so for has helped but not fixed it. Here's what happened.

We went out came home, car running great, everything working. We park it. Get ready for work. Get in it, start it, it turns over a few times, backfires, then there is zero compression on any cylinder... It just sounds like its free spinning. But the starter is engaging the fly wheel, and the motor is turning over. It's been sitting for about 6 months now. But its TAX TIME. And its time to do something about it.
I'm just looking for some opinions on what my first move should be on this one. Like, rebuild the head, rebuild the motor, buy a new motor (new as in slightly used) and head, change the head gasket again. Etc.....
I take very good care of my vehicles. I could of gone about this wrong, so if I missed something please put it out there and I will give it try if I can afford it.
Thank You to any body who helps. My sister and I do not have much money so if you know where to get REALLY CHEAP PARTS, PLEASE send me a link... We love our PT... Just wanna get it going again.
THANK YOU AGAIN FELLOW PT'ERS....
Old 26 Jan 2012, 01:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: To all with an opinon... I need a little help...

Zero compression sounds like timing belt, or cam pin sheared.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Found this in a search, seems to fit your story:

I have been building engines all my life for the street and the race track. Your timing has nothing to do with the compression in your cylinders. If you have no compression in any of your cylinders the you either have a cracked head,blown head casket, warped head,cracked block between each cylinder. Was all the spark plugs in good " meaning not striped out " . If you have a bad or bent valve that would let the pressure out of that one cylinder but not all of them at once. Check to see if there is any water in the oil pan, if there is the water will come out first because water is heaver than oil and will go to the bottom so pull the drain plug out slowly to see what comes out first. If there is water in the oil that you have a big problem. Either you have a cracked block or head or head gasket. If there is no water in the oil than I would check the piston rings. First thing to do is take off the valve cover and crank the motor over very slowly and watch all the valves operate right and move up and down the full travel that there supposed to. If they are all good the takes out the bad valve situation. If there is no water in the oil and the valves are good thats a good deal. Next take a very thin shim gauge and run all the way around the head at the gaskett point and see if you can get the thinest one in between the head and the block, if you can get any of the shim in than the head is warped. Next take an air line and screw it in to each spark plug hole ( Start with little pressure first ) and if there is a crack anywhere you will find it that way or at least have a starting point to go with. If you have a small crack and the motor is cold the crack might not open up wide enough with the motor cold so you might have to up the pressure a bit more BUT GO SLOW ON ADDING THE PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!! because the fluids might shoot out fast and hard so please wear safety glasses.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Jan 2012 at 07:08 am.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 11:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Crewzins post is very helpful in this situation.

Where the post speaks of doing a 'leak down' test, with an airline.

You take your compression tester hose, screw it into the spark plug thread while engine is at TDC on compression stroke, and chuck other end to an air compressor.

You'll hear where air is escaping from.

These compression tester hoses used to use the 'Lincoln short' connector type, so it's EZ to get this cuck for your aircompressor, IF the compressor doesn't already have it.

Two reasons I didn't go into catastrophic failures is:

You describe the vehicle as functioning normally as you shut down

The cam gears had obviously just been removed.

Torquing cam gears correctly is difficult to do; people don't do it.
If not torqued correctly, the cam pin does shear.

PN for this little pin is: 6100997

Chrysler will tell you it's not available and you need to buy cams. Please don't do this.
Because there was timing belt work, we could all suspect the tensioner may have not been properly installed.
PT's tensioners are after my time, but I've read several posts of people having problems installing them correctly.

Good luck, I'm positive it's some more simple than internal engine failure
Old 26 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Who replace the timing belt/tensioner?

Take the upper timing cover off to see if the belt is broke.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 26 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin thank you for all your help... To me your awesome, you take time out your day to help many people and you help me every time i need it.Thank You! Moving on.
My timing belt cover was shattered upon purchase of the vehicle. My timing belt is intact, on tight and, tension pulley is on correctly. I did pull the plug on the oil pan today. NO water. Just clean oil. I will check the valves and head gasket this weekend.
Me personally,i think the head is warped..
My reason behind this is... Today well messing around with it. I removed the heat shield from the exhaust manifold and found the exhaust manifold cracked in three different locations. The way its cracked looks like someone tried to twist it... I purchased the Tear Down and Rebuild manual. All the head bolt are torqued to book specification.
Also the thread on the spark plugs are good and i put new plugs in it today.And checked to see if they were all firing. They are...

What should i do next?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Still could be the pin on the camshafts. Only one need be broken. The exhaust manifold commonly cracks. Has nothing to do with head. What ever problems you do or do not encounter with the head is not related to the exhaust manifold. So follow the help of the gentlemen above. It might be simpler than you think. Best of luck.

Make sure both cams turn together. Bet you will find the answers there.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 26 Jan 2012 at 08:10 pm.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Although I appreciate it, please don't single me out as the one that can help. The others that have posted know a heck of a lot more about the internal workings of the engine than I do. I just Googled your problem and read all that came up and that answer seemed to fit what your problems were. Can't say if it was right, just fit into the same category of what you have done and what was happening.

UptownSport and Busted PT have come up with another possibility and is very possible they have hit the nail on the head. Everything should be checked out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys i will update this post this weekend when I have time to look more into the PT.

Crewzin,
I apologize for singling you out, But on my previous posts YOU answered all my questions, with very helpful answer's. However you are correct, other people in this forum have been very helpful to me and many other PT owners also.

I apologize to you all.

Thank You everyone for your help!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The important thing is that everyone find solutions to there problems not necessarily who got credit. So no apology necessarily far as I'm concerned. It will save me a lot of time If I experience some of this stuff I'v read on here on my car. The more contributors the more likely you are to hit on an answer for your particular problem. I'v learned a ton of stuff myself. Hope I never need it lol.

Tags
engine rebuild, tech support