PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issue. Help.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2012, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating issue. Help.

Recently my pt cruiser has been giving me super annoying trouble.it will start to overheat after 20-30 minutes of driving.the coolant will bubble up and overflow.my shop can't find anything wrong with it because doesn't overheat when there.ive already had the thermostat and radiator cap changed recently.had the water pump replaced almost a year ago.im clueless to what's going on.any help is really appreciated.*
Old 26 Jan 2012, 05:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue. Help.

my guess would be radiator fan. see if the low speed comes on. they are prone to failing.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If not the fan, and that's the best guess, it might be a clogged radiator not letting the coolant get around the engine to cool it off.

Does it overheat when you in slow or stopped traffic and does it cool down when you get going?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does the pt have one or two fans?ive owned the car for a while
But I'm a noob to the technical side.and yes those are my symptoms.overheats at stop lights after 25 minutes or so from driving.its fine on the highway also for like 25 minutes or so.then the needle will start to go up.Your feedback helps alot guys.*
Old 26 Jan 2012, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT has one fan with two speeds. If heating up when your gong slow or at a standstill and then cools off when moving, it definitely sounds like the high speed part of the fan isn't working BUT as long as your moving it shouldn't start to heat up again. Sounds like you might have more than one issue.

Heating up while moving could be a clogged radiator or cracked head gasket.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the fan when the car was overheating and parked.the fan was running ok.when I'm driving at a steady speed and put the AC on I can hear the fan come on at weird times.could it be that the fan isn't coming on at certain times to cool the engine right?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The high speed fan should come on and stay on as long as the A/C is on. It also stays on whenever the coolant temperature sensor sees the temperature rise to a particular point. It then sends a signal to the computer, whereas the computer tells the high speed (or low speed) relay to open up and turn on the fan.

That whole scenario can be made to go through it's role if a scanner is hooked up to the car. It can show you if the relays and both speeds of the fan are working.

Old 26 Jan 2012, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm I'll have to find a code reader I guess.hope it's not a clogged radiator
Old 26 Jan 2012, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A clogged radiator isn't that bad, it can usually be flushed clean.

Old 26 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hmm ok cool ill keep that in mind.say i take to my shop and ask for flush.do you think they would be able to find if i have a leak then?

Tags
engine, issues, overheating, troubleshooting