Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle Surge Of Sorts? Oil Identity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2012, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle Surge Of Sorts? Oil Identity?

Hey All,
06' GT 5spd. 45,000 a lot those without the engine running towed behind a motorhome. That's the basics. The car "feels" and possibly "sounds" like the idle, when warm, surges. Just slightly. Not enough to register in any way on the Tach. It's not all the time and it's kind more of a feeling than anything else if that makes any sense.

Also, I just purchased the car. I don't have any history on oil type used. Is there a way to tell if they used/are using synthetic? Will it matter if I switch to synthetic or non synthetic if they were running one or the other? Thank you all in advance for any help you can give.

GTCRUISER2006/Bryan
Old 26 Jan 2012, 07:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Idle Surge Of Sorts? Oil Identity?

Well not sure of the surging but I assume you just bought it.

Do the key dance and see if you get any codes.

If the car hasnt been tuned up, get new wires and plugs, I prefer the stock champion copper gapped at .040 and I use MP Performance blue wires.

I would yank the Throttle body and pull the AIS motor out of the TB which impacts idle speed. might be dirty and hence your poor idle quality.
Clean the TB and put it back on.

Per your oil, no way of knowing what they used but a good synthetic, Mobil1, AMsoil, Penzoil Platinum,Ultra etc with good filter are a good idea.

I would highly recommend you change the fluid in the 5 speed getrag, takes ATF+4 from Chrysler, I use AMsoil Manual Transmission fluid.

I would also change the coolant, takes HOAT Zerex yellow or Mopar Orange only, no substitute and distilled water

Lastly get turkey baster and suction out the old Power steering fluid ad refill with ATF+4

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 26 Jan 2012, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lastly get turkey baster and suction out the old Power steering fluid ad refill with ATF+4[/QUOTE]

Not heard this one before. Might need to tune me up on this one.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Lastly get turkey baster and suction out the old Power steering fluid ad refill with ATF+4
Not heard this one before. Might need to tune me up on this one.[/QUOTE]

In theory, using the turkey baster suction tool, you suck out as much old power steering fluid out (about a cup) and replace with new ATF+4 fluid. Drive the car for awhile and the new and old fluid should mix. Suck out another cup, and replace again with new. Keep repeating those actions a number of times and "in theory", you'll change the fluid without actually dropping the power steering unit/pump to do the job.

I tried it but don't think I waited long enough between suck/fill actions to get most of the old fluid out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Not heard this one before. Might need to tune me up on this one.
In theory, using the turkey baster suction tool, you suck out as much old power steering fluid out (about a cup) and replace with new ATF+4 fluid. Drive the car for awhile and the new and old fluid should mix. Suck out another cup, and replace again with new. Keep repeating those actions a number of times and "in theory", you'll change the fluid without actually dropping the power steering unit/pump to do the job.

I tried it but don't think I waited long enough between suck/fill actions to get most of the old fluid out.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize atf+4 was being substituted in the power steering. I actually have used the baster on one thing or another before. I just never thought about the atf+4. Some of these whine. Dose this help with that?
Old 28 Jan 2012, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Only in the 2001 does Chrysler recommend MOPAR power steering fluid. 2002 and later models should use MOPAR ATF+4 Automatic transmission fluid.

Don't know if it will help with whining, but can't hurt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 04 I removed the radiator and it had clear power steering fluid in it from the factory. Any idea when that recommendation started?
Old 28 Jan 2012, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The 04 I removed the radiator and it had clear power steering fluid in it from the factory. Any idea when that recommendation started?
NO. I found the info in both the Haynes and Chilton manuals and read it someplace on-line.

NOW, to complete the whole recommendation word for word:

2002 and later models: MOPAR ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid (type 9602) or equivalent.

Maybe the factory buys the clear stuff in bulk and it's the "equivalent" of the ATF+4. ??

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jan 2012 at 07:18 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Smile Re: Idle Surge Of Sorts? Oil Identity?

Thanks for the info. Never know what you will pickup around here. Catch ya later.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 10:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

Just make sure you are up to date on your shots.