PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery light on and confused

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery light on and confused

I recently had a battery issue, left my lights on for 5 minutes and almost couldn't get lilred started, yikes. This car had been great for 200,500 original miles, second owner. Got new battery and swapped it out. Starts right up no problem. 5 minutes down the road, battery light is back on. Go to parts store, check the charging system. Battery good, start test fail? and the guy had no idea why and i don't really know either considering it starts right up. alternator good and all other checks good. Now, driving for a week with no problem and no light, it's on again and doesn't go off and last night it died while I was driving which says bad alternator right? wrong. jumped the car with a friends for about 15 min then started right up and have driven for almost 2 days with no light and no issue, now, light is on again and i'm wondering what else could be? any ideas that i haven't mentioned would be appreciated.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery light on and confused

Sure sounds like an alternator problem. You can run for awhile with a good battery and eventually it will die if the Alt isn't charging it up. I'd try a different place that can check the battery and charging system. Some tests have to be off the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The battery is brand new as of about 2 weeks ago, and i drive twice a day 25 miles with my lights on and this is the first time it died, and that was only about 5 miles total that i drove with it running off only the battery, but then it seems fine to start and drive, which is why i can't figure out what i could be missing. Is there any type of sensor on the starting/charging system that could cause this or i wondered could the selenoid on the starter be going bad? I have plans next week to replace the entire suspension along with all the starting and charging system components, full fluid fushes and filters. i would say after 200,000 miles it's the least i can do for a car that runs like it has 100,000 miles. i was skeptical of Chrysler and always joked about the pt, but I am now puchasing my secong pt, 2001 also, 5 speed limited with only 1 owner, my grandmother. It's got 110,000 miles and it's been garaged and never seen snow since day 1. I think it's the best investment i could ever make, just lost on this stupid battery light.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your doing all that, hopefully you'll fix the problem, whatever it is. Make sure you clean or replace all the battery cable ends including the end that goes to ground and down to the starter solenoid.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i'm hoping it does, only concern is, i have to drive 200 miles to do the work. yikes! i would think that i should be ok during the day in decent weather even iff i have an issue again, the battery should last a while running only basic functions like the fuel pump and brake lights when i need to slow down. Just was hoping to figure it out first and take care of it.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The alternator might be charging intermittently. If its got a lot of miles the brushes may be worn down and losing contact with the armature. (Getting to short to reach.) Ran into this many times.

Will check good as long as they are making contact when the test being done.

When replacing cable ends replace entire cable. Replacement ends leave you another connection to corrode and give you problems!
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 27 Jan 2012 at 08:12 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Battery light on and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpt View Post
i'm hoping it does, only concern is, i have to drive 200 miles to do the work. yikes! i would think that i should be ok during the day in decent weather even iff i have an issue again, the battery should last a while running only basic functions like the fuel pump and brake lights when i need to slow down. Just was hoping to figure it out first and take care of it.
Don't forget the ignition system. Spark plugs need juice, too.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 09:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The alternator might be charging intermittently. If its got a lot of miles the brushes may be worn down and losing contact with the armature. (Getting to short to reach.) Ran into this many times.

Will check good as long as they are making contact when the test being done.

When replacing cable ends replace entire cable. Replacement ends leave you another connection to corrode and give you problems!
busted could be right on the money. check you B+ wire to your alt thats the bigger red one. and so check your field and stator wires there the smaller ones if there broken or loose they can give a intermintant batt light by not keeping the alt energized, (turned on in a sense)
Old 28 Jan 2012, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going out under it today to check all the wiring that isn't so easily seen. I found another post that has a very similar issue, P0622 code. The poster said he tried same things and found a wiring issue above the cv and under the exhaust going from the comp to the alternator. It sounds like it may be my issue, but i will check it all and see. Keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Battery light on and confused

Problem solved. Turns out the original test on the system was wrong. Took out the alternator and found the belts were shot, and tested the altenator off the car and it failed. Got a new one, put it in and put new belts on, runs like new. Oh and if anyone ever tells you the "only way" to get the alternator out is by removing the pencil strut and the driveshaft, they are full of crap. I didn't remove either one. Is it easy to get out, no. It can be done though. It takes 2 people and alot of twisting turning and pushing and shoving, but it will come out the top behind the motor. You don't have to move anything except the vac hose to the motor and the cover that just pops off. You will need to remove the bottom passenger side bolt on the heat shield and move the heat shield around, but it does go back together when you are done. Hope this information helps someone else.
VsandFords and chuzz like this.