Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wet Braking Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Wet Braking Problem

Whenever it is raining heavily, my brakes won't really start to bite until a few moments after pressing on the pedal. I have the Wagner ThermoQuiet MX841 and this only started recently. They have been working fine for over a year and there's plenty of brake material left. Dry braking and light rain is fine. I have the original rotors and they were cut when I did the brake job.

I recently bled the brakes, and the pedal feels fine, but I'm losing too much stopping power when they get wet. I'm thinking of calling Federal Mogul and asking for a warranty replacement set or changing over to a set of Hawk HPS pads. I'm wondering if I've worn them down to an area that's ineffective in wet weather. Should I replace the pads, or try to sand down all surfaces to remove possible glazing? I know spending the money on new pads would be less of a headache than a collision.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wet Braking Problem

The pad material is the same throughout the pad. Do you have drums in the rear? Maybe your not getting enough help from the rear brakes.
Some pads need to get some heat in them to work well. Water would hinder that.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 28 Jan 2012 at 03:40 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 04:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I've noticed poor performance with 'high-mileage' pads as well- They unfortunately don't wear so I can justify getting a good set.

I'd be very interested in what Federal Mogul had to say.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I called Wagner technical support. They want me to sand down the pads and sand the rotors in a non directional pattern. They think the problem is caused by the method the machine shop machined the rotors. I will give it a shot this weekend.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That is possible, and instead of taking my rotors down to have them cut, I have them 'polished' like they do to your flywheel. They use a set of stones that rotate around the face of the rotor while burnishing it mildly. They leave a light feel to the rotor with swirls and they tend to eat your pads pretty quick over the first 20k miles, but in my opinion it's a heck of a better way to reface your rotor than turning them.

I'm having similar problems right now, just went past 55555 recently and notice that my pads just aren't wearing hardly at all, and my brakes are really dicey in heavy rain. The guy who is going to polish my flywheel said he can do my rotors for $15 each, so soon as I get a chance I'm taking them to him, then going to move to new pads soon. Can't believe my factory pads have only about 50% wear at 55k miles!
Old 31 Jan 2012, 01:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Especially the way you drive!!!
Old 31 Jan 2012, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I am going to replace all my brakes soon. dam wet braking is why I am buying a new front bumper. 2 weeks into owning my car and had an emergency stop. I was actually surprised at how slow this thing braked. my caravan stopped faster in rain
Old 18 Feb 2012, 11:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I just did what Wagner suggested by sanding the rotors and pads. It appears there was resin build on the beveled edge too. It's like starting with a new brake job again. I'll update this post within a few weeks after testing in extreme wet conditions.

Original Owner 135k