Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
match motor from mini cooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2012, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default match motor from mini cooper

hellow from greece ...does anybody knows if the motor from mini cooper 2005 1600cc S or the simple 1600cc with the transmission match to my pt cruiser 1600cc model 2002? is it possible to help me ? thanks!
Old 29 Jan 2012, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: match motor from mini cooper

a bmw motor vs a chryler motor, it would take a lot of fabucating it make a mini engine and trans work in a pt. plus just by how heavy the pt is if you were going for speed, your not going to have it.it would be a struggle for the mini's motor to move that tank of a car. even the S would struggle.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 06:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I've *heard* a variation the 1.8 euro neon/PT engine was used in the Mini.

I have no idea on specifics- whether the bellhousings the same, etc. and wouldn't know where to look.

I'd ask you start your own 'euro' club in the regional Euro forum- Us guys in the US may have actually Built the Euro cars (or Mexico), but us residents haven't ever seen them except on a train going to the East Coast
Old 29 Jan 2012, 06:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I look at one of your previous post and you sead yours has a 1.6L like uptown sead we dont got them here. and its a good chance you going to have to talk to a euro guy.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:41 am
Young Cruiser

IIRC the 1.6l cars were the first to be imported into Europe and in very small numbers. As a rough guide as to their rarity, in the past six years I have never seen one for sale. I very much doubt that they are the same.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Takis, send me some Roditis and I'll answer your questions! hahaha... love everything Greek! Dolmades, Chaniotiko Boureki, kotopita, mezedes, horiatiki, saganaki, Apáki, Kleftiko, Paidakia, and baklava. OMG I'M DROOLING NOW!!!

I can tell you it would be incredibly difficult to match up the engine and tranny, unless you pulled both out. The engine mounts are different, and I'm not sure of the clearance at the top since the S series has a small super-charger on it.

I've seen a PT with this setup, Mini S engine with manual tranny, and the guy told me he basically had to build all the mounting himself, then had to build a combination wiring harness from both cars to get everything working. He just took the speedo, tach, and other gauges from the Mini to install in the PT and had to hack up the dashboard to create space for them as the PT gauges are smaller. It came out okay, but he said it took him most of 9 months to finish it (think he gave birth to it...lol).
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Same here - only time I hear of the 1.6 PT is when ordering parts that happen t be compatible with it. Never seen one, or seen one listed for sale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
IIRC the 1.6l cars were the first to be imported into Europe and in very small numbers. As a rough guide as to their rarity, in the past six years I have never seen one for sale. I very much doubt that they are the same.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Imagine how slow the PT is with a 1.6 in it. The person who used a Cooper S motor in a PT must have been very disappointed.
Old 22 May 2012, 06:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by takissarris View Post
hellow from greece ...does anybody knows if the motor from mini cooper 2005 1600cc S or the simple 1600cc with the transmission match to my pt cruiser 1600cc model 2002? is it possible to help me ? thanks!
Truly, there are motors distributed in other vehicle brands and models but in your case, i guess you have to come up with the service bulletin first to see whether other mini parts could direct fit on the vehicle. otherwise, you might waste money for that. On the other hand, 2005 1600cc S is quite not ordinary compared to other chrysler vehicles.
Old 22 May 2012, 11:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

They had a slightly lower gear ratio; 4.12
This is an elusive ratio sought after by all Neon owners ...
I'm not really sure it'd make any noticeable difference vs. the 3.94

Most Euro cars, from my memory, were really tiny, and had diesels (can you say 60MPG) such as VW Polo.

It's fun to have a Cruiser, even if it's kinda slow