Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
All I did was install a new battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2012, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question All I did was install a new battery

After installing the battery in my '03 Cruiser, it started fine. About 4 hours later we tried to start it and it would turn over and partially fire but not start.
The next day it did start but ran very rough but got better after driving it around the block a couple of times. Today we drove it about 10 miles to church, although it was still missing intermittently at idle and at low RPM's. The other wierd thing was that a strange "woom-woom" noise started at about 40-45 MPH and lasted for 15-20 minutes and has now gone away. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: All I did was install a new battery

Any check engine light at this time?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 07:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your quick response. The check engine light is not on.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You took off the air intake to get at the battery, right? Go over all your work and be sure clamps are tight and nothing is loose.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2012, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Although I've pulled it apart and checked the battery clamps, hoses, etc., I'll do it again. A friend who is much more mechanic-savy than I thought it might be in the the ground connection. From what I can see the connection to the terminals are wire(s) that are together before going to the terminal. There are wire(s) going to a connection just above and to the rear of the air box. Maybe I hit that conection and caused the problem. How could I check to see if this happened? I do appreciate your input.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 09:06 am
Young Cruiser

Did you figure out what was wrong with it ?
Old 31 Jan 2012, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nope! took everything apart just now for the 3rd time to check and make sure nothing was loose and no wires had come loose. One thing I did notice: with the air box removed and the engine running, every time it missed there was a sucking noise coming from the air intake hose. Maybe there is a clue in this but not for me. Almost to the point of taking it to a shop if I can find someone local that is good and honest????
I do appreciate all the help and hope someone out there has an AHA!! moment.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To get to the battery you ha to take off most (if not all) of the air filtering system. My guess it that you moved, broke, disabled the IAT sensor or vacuum hose that's connected to the air intake. That will make it idle rough, stumble and mess up the intake sensors. Check them out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jan 2012 at 03:03 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Since I'm a 'jack leg' mechanic, at best, please tell me where the sensor and hose you speak of are located. Again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The IAT looks like this and is somewhere in the intake hose between the air box and the throttle body.

The other is the vacuum hose and it could be anywhere in the same vicinity and is just a rubber hose probably from the valve cover to the inlet hose. Depending on your year PT, they might have deleted the vacuum hose. Just found out you have an 03 so you should have both the IAT and hose unless Chrysler did away with the hose. They did away ith the EGR pipe in your year so maybe that vacuum hose is also gone.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jan 2012 at 03:03 pm.