Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no code no start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default no code no start

The engine was running hot. I very carefully replaced to timing belt, water pump etc. I found a bad freeze plug which I replaced. would not start. Did a compression test, found low compression on three cylinders. I replaced the head gasket and rechecked the timing belt. Everything looks good, the engine almost starts but won't. I have spark and fuel because it fires sometimes. Where do I look next? There are no codes. It acts like it wants to start but won't. The timing marks all line up. Help!!!
Old 01 Feb 2012, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: no code no start

What is the likelihood of the CAT being clogged?
Old 01 Feb 2012, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhands View Post
What is the likelihood of the CAT being clogged?
Not very likely, but nothings impossible. You'd be the first one to report it. You might have to have it scanned to see what the problem is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2012, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check compression again. If ran hot enough could have collapsed rings and dose not have enough compression to start. If that checks out OK. Go over every thing check all hoses (vac) & wiring connectors etc. Make sure there are no intake leaks also. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got a snap-on scan tool and no codes present. It is showing both crank and cam sensor input. If I give it about 3/4 throttle it acts like it wants to start but it wont quite start. This tells me that I have spark, fuel and compression, or am I missing something?
Old 05 Feb 2012, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe your not getting full spark (enough voltage). Try jumping it with a good battery to strengthen your voltage.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never said if you confirmed compression after repairs.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 06 Feb 2012 at 10:38 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I bit the bullet and did as busted suggested and re ran the compression test. I got 90, 30, 30, 90. Not good at all. Poop, darn, fudge!!!! So I am going to do it all over again, but this time I will get the head resurfaced. By the way when I put oil in the cylinders, the pressure only came up a few lbs.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sucks to be right sometimes. The 90lbs a little low too. 100-110lbs especially after the oil would sound better to me. You might give a shout out to uptownsport and run the numbers by him. Judging by some of his posts he seems to have a lot of motor rebuilding expertise. I'm still new around here, there are probably others also.
Old 07 Mar 2012, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The head turned out to be 10 thousands out and all of the valves were leaking. Had the head shaved and a valve job done and I am going to instal a head shim with the new head gasket. Hope it starts OK.