Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cabin Air Filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2012, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Cabin Air Filter

So my crowning achievement in 2011 was quitting smoking in June... However, I had a passenger the other day say "Your car smells like smoke."

A car guru at work told me to change the cabin air filter. To my knowledge it's the original. While my sense of smell has returned and I can now smell smokers 10 miles away, I don't smell anything in the car and there hasn't been any smoking in the car since June. I obviously want to get rid of any lingering odors.

Installing a Cabin Air Filter on an '03 PT Cruiser turbo

I found that in an older thread although I am unsure if it's the same process for my '06 non-turbo.

I also found this thread Cabin air filter which directed me to http://www.moparsupercenter.com/pass....html?cat=1186 which lists the kit at $19. It shows the same part number so I'm assuming nothing was changed between the model years.

What do you think? Thanks!

Last edited by Travis2k7; 29 Jan 2012 at 08:33 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Only Euro spec cars got the cabin filter from the factory. I think all PT's after '02 came with the filter housing but no filter installed. I got a filter from Pepboys for about 15 bucks, but I also had to get the housing for my '01, got one off ebay for about 20 bucks. The link with the directions applies to all years and models of the PT.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Forgot to say congrats on stopping smoking!

Also Meguiars Odor Eliminator spray works great and smells nice too.

I would also try one of the a/c odor eliminator sprays that you use in the duct work.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post

I would also try one of the a/c odor eliminator sprays that you use in the duct work.
Thanks! I smoked a pack a day for 15 years and quit in less than a week with Chantix. I am so proud of myself! Thanks for the tip on the spray too!

Last edited by Travis2k7; 29 Jan 2012 at 10:23 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks rckt, sounds like a good suggestion.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

so all I would need to buy is that 20 dollar part listed on that moparsupercenter link to have a cabin air filter?

Old 29 Jan 2012, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

My car was smoked in when I bought it. I will have quit smoking 1 yr on feb 1st. congrats as it's the toughest thing I have ever done in my life...

I shampoo'd the headliner. smoking is sticky stuff and gets in the fabric. even spraying a dry foam type shampoo and using a vaccum will make a big difference on any cloth items. some nice leather cleaner and conditioner helps too.

yes sprays an ozone machines can get rid of smells to a point, but unless the source is removed it will linger for a while
Old 29 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Only Euro spec cars got the cabin filter from the factory. I think all PT's after '02 came with the filter housing but no filter installed. I got a filter from Pepboys for about 15 bucks, but I also had to get the housing for my '01, got one off ebay for about 20 bucks. The link with the directions applies to all years and models of the PT.
So are you saying that my PT has a filter housing but no filter installed?
Old 29 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
My car was smoked in when I bought it. I will have quit smoking 1 yr on feb 1st. congrats as it's the toughest thing I have ever done in my life...

I shampoo'd the headliner. smoking is sticky stuff and gets in the fabric. even spraying a dry foam type shampoo and using a vaccum will make a big difference on any cloth items.
Thanks for the tips... I didn't find quitting all that difficult to be honest. I had tried before and failed but I wasn't putting forth much effort.

I moved from Georgia to Washington at the end of May and went from paying $3 a pack to $8. After 2 weeks of that I'd had enough... I had a supply of Chantix from a prescription that I had bought (but hadn't used) and I started taking the pills... and that was it. No more smoking, no more cravings. It was pretty amazing actually.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 07:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
So are you saying that my PT has a filter housing but no filter installed?
Yes. But pull the cowl cover and double check before ordering any parts. It's only held in with a few plastic screws...

Here is the kind of stuff I used to deodorize the A/C system in my car, worked quite well. I got it at Pepboys, not sure if it's the same brand.
http://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Odor-Bo...auto_ai_ps_t_4

Also be sure to give the car a very good vacuuming, including the headliner. Like posted above using some sort of cleaner will help too. The Meguiars stuff works very well.

www.rcktpwrd.com