PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MOPAR / HOAT Anti Freeze Discontinued... just in Europe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2012, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default MOPAR / HOAT Anti Freeze Discontinued... just in Europe?

Hi All,

Just been to my local Chrysler dealer in the UK to buy some anti-freeze/coolant for a change on my PT.

Was very surprised when they came out of the back with non Mopar / Chrysler stuff and it was standard blue anti-freeze.
When I queried this I was told that Chrysler (or rather Fiat here in Europe) no longer import the Mopar anti-freeze and this was the new recommended type.
I was dubious so googled a bit - and sure enough there don't seem to be a UK source, and not even any on ebay in the UK... I believe it's still sold in the US/Canada tho?

So I called my next nearest dealer and was advised the same story and that they had been told to recommend / sell:

Comma XSR5L 5L Xstream G30 Antifreeze and Coolant Concentrate
(amazon UK link for spec etc: Comma XSR5L 5L Xstream G30 Antifreeze and Coolant Concentrate: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike)

Still somewhat dubious (having heard horror stories of the wrong coolant being used!) I went to the comma site who actually advise a different one of their products, claiming it to be Chrysler MS-9769 approved - that product being:

Comma :: Productsguide

Does anyone who knows more about the spec of the proper HOAT stuff know if this is actually a fair alternative?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 30 Jan 2012, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: MOPAR / HOAT Anti Freeze Discontinued... just in Europe?

The first link regarding the G30 coolant says it is an OAT type (like dexcool)...you do NOT want to put this in your PT. The second link refers to a GO5 HOAT type...this appears to meet the Chrysler spec.

However, if even the HOAT stuff is not available to you then flush out the system and install regular old ethylene glycol type coolant (usually colored green here in the States but sometimes may be blue...the color is just a dye). The regular ethylene glycol coolant will not last as long as the extended life HOAT but it will protect the engine just fine.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not to disagree HOWEVER i ahve always heard the reason for the HOAT is to protect the inter working of the PT lke the impeler on the water pump id say it will work btu it may cause some problems down the road--and again that is just what I haev always Herd
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I use Zerex G-05 and distilled water from supermarket for steam irons.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

i use G12 pentofrost SF zero probs.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
The first link regarding the G30 coolant says it is an OAT type (like dexcool)...you do NOT want to put this in your PT. The second link refers to a GO5 HOAT type...this appears to meet the Chrysler spec.

However, if even the HOAT stuff is not available to you then flush out the system and install regular old ethylene glycol type coolant (usually colored green here in the States but sometimes may be blue...the color is just a dye). The regular ethylene glycol coolant will not last as long as the extended life HOAT but it will protect the engine just fine.
Thanks a lot for the second opinion.
Managed to order a bottle of the G05 one from a local parts store - should arrive tomorrow.

Next question though - the antifreeze calls for being mixed with de-ionised water, the Chrysler called for distilled. Any thoughts?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 05:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stek2008 View Post

Next question though - the antifreeze calls for being mixed with de-ionised water, the Chrysler called for distilled. Any thoughts?
Distilled water has been boiled and condensed to remove the salts. Deionized water has been passed through an ion exchange resin to remove the salts. Around here, distilled water is cheaply available at the grocery store so that is what has been going in the radiators and batteries on my vehicles. (Although, the tap water around here isn't high in minerals and has been used in the past in the radiator without problems.)
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In my humble opinion the distilled or filtered water is probably more important than the brand of antifreeze. Chrysler obviously has no problem swapping brands when it suits them. I'v used tap water, but when you heat tap water you are going to have mineral deposits. I would use the bottled stuff. Not that much money.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Strangely here in the UK it's really hard to get the distilled water.
It runs to around 20 (approx $32!) for 10 litres.

Deionised water is sold almost everywhere for use in steam irons, car batteries etc. In contrast 5 litres is about 2 ($3).

Would anyone be worried about using deionised water instead of distilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Distilled water has been boiled and condensed to remove the salts. Deionized water has been passed through an ion exchange resin to remove the salts. Around here, distilled water is cheaply available at the grocery store so that is what has been going in the radiators and batteries on my vehicles. (Although, the tap water around here isn't high in minerals and has been used in the past in the radiator without problems.)
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's great for use in a steam iron. I would have no problem using it in my PT. I'v never seen in any shop (dealer or Independent) seen either one at the ready to use in a customers car. They just use tap water. So go for it quilt free, it will work fine.