Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP...Cruiser sputtering at idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2012, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP...Cruiser sputtering at idle

Hey folks, I have a 2004 PT. Non Turbo, 63K miles. Oil changed 2 months ago. New plugs and wires approx 7 months ago. New Oil sending unit 2 months ago.
Cam and crank sensors both changed 2 years ago.

Problem is the Cruiser will sputter when in gear but only at stop signs, lights etc. Once you get going the problem goes away. If I put it in park at stop signs, lights etc, problem goes away. It almost feels like the car is going to totally die (which it did once). It will sit at idle...get rough and sputter then go back to normal.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: HELP...Cruiser sputtering at idle

what kind of pulgs and wires did you put in it.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Honestly Rayo, I don't remember what plugs and wires I put in. I do know they were expensive LOL.

Chatted with Crewzin and he thinks it may a a fan issue. Tried a little diagnostic and I"m inclined to think it is also. But any other feedback is appreciated.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

in park your motor has less load on it and the idle Is about 200 revs faster which will make I diff. is there and surging at a stop? if there is if could be the idle air control valve may need a cleaning..
since you had the plugs changed about 2 months ago. this is a out side possability but when ever I here of this happening 1to 2 monhs later. plugs alway come to mind. if you put in bosch plat.2's or 4's or fussions. which are pricy plugs. thats usely what happens, thay run good for a while then youll get rough idleing and it will progress to a all out miss. bosch being the worst offender of it but others will do that too. also it depends on what the plugs are gapped at it should be .040. at .052 you could be getting a weak spark from jumping that canyon of a gap.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Were not Bosch plugs and gapped at .040. Plugs were changed 7 months ago.
How can I clean the idle air control valve. There is no surge just a shudder or stutter, feels like the RPM's are dropping significantly. Then it comes back up to speed. Is that valve difficult to get to and clean? I'll try anything at this point. Really do not want to go to the shop.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

I stoled this from a post from crewin
Ok, there is something that controls the Idle called the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and it can get dirty and cause problems. It's cheap enough to buy and replace but it can also be taken off and cleaned. There's a spring inside and if dirt gets in, it can hinder the operation of the controller. it's located on the back of the throttle body and it's on my picture below with a yellow star. It only takes a little time and effort to take it off BUT it's held on by two Torx screws so you need the right tools to take it off. I use a No#20 Torx drive head on a ratchet wrench becuase it doesn't take much room and between the screw heads and firewall is only a couple inches.
oops dont have the pic
Old 31 Jan 2012, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. Gonna have to take it off tomorrow. Out of daylight!
Old 01 Feb 2012, 04:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I have an 03 turbo. I read on here you have to run premium. I thought that was a stretch somewhat but mine was rough and sputtering at idle. I put premium in a couple days ago and my car runs awesome. I was getting a check engine light flickdering. I know I have a cracked air line I repaired, but the light stayed off all day and no more sputter. guess I have to run premium
Old 01 Feb 2012, 07:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mah, do you have your defrost on when this sputtering occurs? If so, Crewzin might be correct. You may have a fan problem. In defrost, your A/C kicks in, and if your fan isn't cooling your compressor, your condenser has to work overtime--putting a huge load on your engine at idle. Check the fan for both speeds.

Tim