Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Battery = problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2012, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default New Battery = problems

Why are so many people having problems after they change their battery. I've changed mine twice in the 11 years I've had the PT and never had a problem afterwards. I'd like to help them but everybody that does just takes guesses like I do because there shouldn't be anything that goes wrong just putting the battery in. Really confusing?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 09:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New Battery = problems

i think it's because the problems were there before changing the batteries and the computer compensated. after the new batteries were installed, the computer had to relearn from scratch, with nothing to go on.

i had a 98 mazda 626 that had a vacuum leak (unbeknownst to me until after installing a new battery). took it in and they did a smoke test and, sure enough, intake manifold gasket was bad.

just a thought.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 09:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Really? That much of an issue? I'll keep that in mind...the battery has been replaced in mine, but I did some basic load tests after I first got it. All good.

I know I have access to one at my shop, but a memory saver could help TONS in this issue.
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES - 79K
2008 Cadillac DTS - 43K
Old 31 Jan 2012, 10:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't know, but could it have something to do with the "sensor" in the bottom of the battery tray if that is what it is? Mater has one, with two wires going to it. what is it, what does it do? Meant to ask that question in another post, put it here since it had to do with the battery.

Thanks!
Old 01 Feb 2012, 01:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

That sensor in the battery tray reports an overheated battery. It is connected to the ECM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Don't know, but could it have something to do with the "sensor" in the bottom of the battery tray if that is what it is? Mater has one, with two wires going to it. what is it, what does it do? Meant to ask that question in another post, put it here since it had to do with the battery.

Thanks!
Old 01 Feb 2012, 07:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've replaced my battery three times. Since it came with a battery, that makes four. The harness was replaced once--due to intense corrosion. Each time, the car ran fine after the change.

I suspect that many people do not thoroughly check out their wiring harness to the battery when replacing it. They just put in a new battery after wiping off some of the corrosion. The damage to the cable ends is one thing, but many times there is unseen damage inside the cable's insulation. Even if they clean up their clamps really well, a problem still exists. And PT's are notorious for letting us know when there is a problem with it getting the juice it needs ....

Also, some don't follow the path of the harness (both cables, pssitive and negative) and check for good, corrosion-free, connections.

And one last thing. Be sure when the cables and clamps are clean, and spray a good battery protectant on the clamps (and even where the positive wire starts to disappear into its insulation). CRC spray is the best I've found. It lasts and lasts ....

Tim
Old 01 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
That sensor in the battery tray reports an overheated battery. It is connected to the ECM.
Thanks Santana!
Old 02 Feb 2012, 04:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post

I suspect that many people do not thoroughly check out their wiring harness to the battery when replacing it.
Exactly...the cheap connectors and cables get corroded and a marginal connection becomes even worse. Then, when these connections are disturbed the problem gets worse yet.

Also, there have been times when the battery polarity is mixed up during replacement. If polarity is reversed if only for an instant, there will be problems.

Was sort of wondering myself why there seems to be so many problems lately with a simple battery replacement...these are just a couple of thoughts.

Last edited by Carl48; 02 Feb 2012 at 04:40 am.