Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle Air Control valve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2012, 06:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle Air Control valve

01 Cruiser 150k miles. What parts of an IAC are supposed to move?
I took mine off to clean it and it seems to have three main parts
1. Black plastic housing (I left alone)
2. Sleeve that was gummed up. (I cleaned that with carb cleaner until it moved freely)
3. for lack of a better term a bullet on a stick. (Which does not move at all)

When I looked inside the intake it seemed the bullet part should move to control the air. Should this part be movable by hand or is it controlled by the motor?
Old 02 Feb 2012, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Idle Air Control valve

I've never done it myself. Hopefully someone who did will come along and have answers. In the meantime, here's some threads to read.

How to Clean an Idle Air Control Valve | eHow.com

IAC Cleaning Idle Air Control Maintenance

How To: Clean IAC Valve (smoothes out rough idle) - Honda Prelude Forum - Prelude Online.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Feb 2012, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

the valve itself (the bullet on a stick) is electrolmachanical. it doesnt move easly by hand.one thing you can do to make sure it moves is.
use two people 1 to watch the valve and one to start and stop the motor
hold the IAC in your hand and take your other hand and cover the port it came from, that hand is going to take place of the valve. make sure the valve is plugged in.
the best way to cover it is useing the fingers because you can open and close them to regulate air flow so it doesnt rev out of control or stall out.
the other person starts the car and stays there to shut it off.
start the car and watch the "Bullet" it should move in and out.
if its about to stall out the "bullet" will move in towards the body of the valve.
if its reving to high it will move out away from the body.
also with a mirror look in the port and make sure the seat at the bottom is clean and smooth. spey it with a little carb cleaner and stick you finger in with a clean rag on it and wipe it out. I have seen all kinds of stuff stuck to the seat.
ifs all good reinstall and test drive see if its better.
Old 02 Feb 2012, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo View Post
the valve itself (the bullet on a stick) is electrolmachanical. it doesnt move easly by hand.one thing you can do to make sure it moves is.
use two people 1 to watch the valve and one to start and stop the motor
hold the IAC in your hand and take your other hand and cover the port it came from, that hand is going to take place of the valve. make sure the valve is plugged in.
the best way to cover it is useing the fingers because you can open and close them to regulate air flow so it doesnt rev out of control or stall out.
the other person starts the car and stays there to shut it off.
start the car and watch the "Bullet" it should move in and out.
if its about to stall out the "bullet" will move in towards the body of the valve.
if its reving to high it will move out away from the body.
also with a mirror look in the port and make sure the seat at the bottom is clean and smooth. spey it with a little carb cleaner and stick you finger in with a clean rag on it and wipe it out. I have seen all kinds of stuff stuck to the seat.
ifs all good reinstall and test drive see if its better.
Well that didnt go well. Covering the port did nothing with the IAC HOWEVER if you stick your finger IN the port and cover the hole where the "bullet" goes it started to move until my finger almost got sucked into the intake, very sharp edges by the way, I didnt feel like trying that again. it did move when my finger was stuck but I chickened out before I could tell if it was moving smoothly and consistantly. Anyone know what sensor feeds the IAC its signal? If that was sending a faulty signal wouldn't that cause the IAC to work improperly?
Old 02 Feb 2012, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

soory about the sharp edge I didnt know there was one in there. if itstarted to move thats a good thing.
Old 02 Feb 2012, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo View Post
soory about the sharp edge I didnt know there was one in there. if itstarted to move thats a good thing.
No problem still have all ten fingers so no harm no foul.
Im guessing if it moves at all it works. They have a junkyard about 50 miles from here that sells them for $5 I might try and pick up a few for that price and try it anyway.