PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Bad coolant temp sensor put engine in flood mode????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2012, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad coolant temp sensor put engine in flood mode????

Chrysler only put the Schreoder valve in the first couple years of the PT (01-03) and I forget what you have. After that for some reason they did away with it. The pressure should be between 53 -63 psi. Here's where it is, on the end of the injector rail.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 03 Feb 2012, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Looks very Accessible. Thanks. Wow, your engine is very nice looking. This car belongs to a friend of mine. I don't know much about PT Cruisers. I have had many Fords in the past and now am driving a 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon. My friend is moving back to Japan in about 3 weeks and knows nothing about cars. I plan on buying the PT Cruiser at that time. What a time for this to happen.
Old 03 Feb 2012, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck on your future purchase. Look through the forum for what to look for before you buy. Lots of people asked here, which is a good thing. Certain things to look out for in a used cruiser. Gone out now. Good luck.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 03 Feb 2012, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm no certified machanic but Ive had a very similar problem that turned out to be the fuel filter.
The vehicle started fine drove fine til it got warmed up a bit, then would start to kinda miss a little bit. And if I tried to open the throttle it would just die. At any speed.
All I did was change the fuel filter. Cost me $10.00! That was 6months ago. Haven't had not one problem since.

Let me correct myself, after the vehicle would die I would have to start it back with the throttle slightly open.

Good luck man.

Last edited by him72787; 03 Feb 2012 at 07:34 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruiserjim View Post
Wow, your engine is very nice looking.
x2 QFT
Old 04 Feb 2012, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got my car back from mechanic. He said it should work fine after they cleaned plugs and changed the temp sensor. He told me to add a can of Seafoam. WRONG! I have driven it for probably 50 - 70 miles since I got it back. The issue is still there. It is more pronounced when the engine is completly cold. Since I took it in I saw on the forum the code list and how to access them with the key. I get these codes:

P1684 Driver 5 Line 4

P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

In that order.

Any ideas????

The fuel filter possibility seems like my engine would run lean ...not rich. For now I am going to shy away from that. I don't know when it was changed but the car just turned 60,000 mi. It may need it.

Thank you.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The P1684 fault code is nothing. Means the battery has been disconnected, forget that.

The other code is diagnosed by the PT Do-It-Yourself.net pay site and it reads:

Fault code P0172-Fuel System 1/1 Rich will require a good deal more work to pinpoint the problem. The powertrain diagnostic manual lists possible causes as: Good Trip Equal To Zero, O2 Sensor Heater Operation, O2 Sensor, EVAP Purge Solenoid Operation, O2 Signal Circuit, O2 Return Circuit, MAP Sensor Operation, ECT Sensor Operation, Engine Mechanical Problem, Fuel Filter/Pressure, Regulator and PCM. There are several pages of tests in the manual to help determine the cause of the O2 sensor reading overly rich for too long. You will need professional diagnostic tests with a scanner that can read and record the datastream to locate the cause of the fault. Please refrain from throwing parts at it in hopes of a cure. Diagnose the faulty circuit, and repair the cause.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Feb 2012 at 10:58 am.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Since I didn't get the old Engine temp sensor back (I forgot to ask), I won't know if it was really bad. I am, however, glad to see it could have been a symptom. I agree more work needs done. I need to look on ebay for a set of factory manuals. I will update my posts as new developments arise in case others have similar problem. If anyone has a clue before that I am all ears.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chromenut put a lot of manuals on top of the Tech & Performance section. You might look there.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser (Standard)

This is not altogether the same as what the original poster had here, but I use this site for info quite often, and am finally stuck! In November, I was having the "infamous" gurgling noise coming out of under my hood when I turned my car off, . . . I read on here to "let the air" out of the Coolant lines, we did that, and no noise for 3 months.

All of a sudden in January, the noise came back, we did the same thing, and it didn't work. I ended up taking the car to my cousins shop, and he put in a new radiator, and thermostat. AWESOME! $300 and all was done.

.... NO, 2 days later, my car dies, mid run, and won't re start. I have it towed to the dealer, they change my timing belt and water pump. Everything is peachy. This is about a month ago.

Now this week, my temperature gauge has been dancing while I drive, and slowly rising when I stop. Sometimes the heater blows cool, sometimes HOT. The gurgling noise is back, although not as bad as before, and the car is overheating in this early summer that we are having in the North East. I have been reading and seem to think that it could be the Engine Coolant Sensor, but am not sure?! Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!