PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Question

hi all,

i dont know if its the same in the usa as in the UK, but our cruisers automatically turn the air conditioning on if we direct the air flow anywhere near the windscreen, i.e the mix or defrost positions. The last thing i want over winter here is the air conditioning on and as i need to keep the windscreen demisted i was wondering if i pulled the A/C fuse from the fusebox under the bonnet, would that allow me to direct the airflow to the windscreen without it turning the air conditioning on?
or is there any way of permanently disabling this feature so that the air conditioning ONLY comes on when i turn the fan control to the A/C positions regardless of air flow direction?

sorry for the long waffle...

2000 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Auto
Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Question

They just discussed that exact thing on the UK forum which I'm a member. I'll post this link, let me know if you can see the post and replies. If not I'll have to think of something to let you know how it's done. Nobody over here ever asked to to that so there's nothing I can show you.

http://ukcruisers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32038

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi crewzin, cant view the page as its askin me to log in

Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, hang on and I'll go coy some of the answers given by UK members.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks buddy

Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was it you or can anyone remember the post that talked about cutting the copper 'wire' on the front blower position switch to stop the AirCon coming on when the switch is turned to the Screen position? There was a post on the site where someone put up some pictures about how to stop it coming on.

I sometimes want my blower blowing to the screen, without having to have the aircon on, but am unsure of which wire was cut. I have tried various searches, but can not find the thread, so if you remember contributing/ posting that thread I would be grateful for help. Or indeed if you know what to cut! I had the centre console off the other day doing something else and could clearly see the copper element, but was unsure if that is the correct bit! Mine is an '52 CRD.

====================

Found this for you here Chrysler PT Cruiser performance and aftermarket accessories
Disabling the air conditioner when in Defrost mode

A quick way to gain some power in winter. (A/C can still be used during defrost when desired by switching the fan control to the blue dots.)

1. Use a trim stick (soft tool to prevent marring), pry out window switch bezel on the dash.

2. Disconnect power window control switch (slide the red locking tab prior to removing connector), remove screw inside switch opening, use trim stick and pry out the center bezel assembly, gently lift up and out (has locating tabs at bottom) then remove bezel. The heater control knobs will also pop off, don’t worry the knobs are keyed so they can only be reinstalled in the correct position.

3. Just above and to the left of the heater/defrost select knob shaft are three ribbons of metal about an 1/8 inch wide. Drill a hole through the lowest one, making sure to sever it completely without cutting the one above it.

4. Reinstall the bezel (and the screw), heater control knobs (remember they—re keyed, don’t force them), and power window switch assembly (be sure to push the red locking tab back into place on the connector).

Credits:

Bezel removal instructions: PTCC Forum Member KC6iih
Drilling instructions: Neons.org “How To Page” Duke Wilford

============================

I know, it'll be like diffusing a b0mb.....which wire do I snip? aaarrrg!

Is that the right one? Aaaaarrggh!

OK, the danger of being blown up is less, but you get my drift!

==========================

I done mine 4 years ago and have never had any problems, i will try and take a picture later of where i cut the circuit, but it was easy enough to do and only took a few minutes.

==============================

Make sure you turn your AC on from time to time over the winter if you do this mod. The AC comes on with the de frost for a reason.......to stop the pump seizing up over the winter. I had to free one off a 08 CRD PT last year, the bearing had rusted solid !! Thanks to UB40 and a 3 foot tube on the end of a strong arm I got it freed off

==============================

Yeah obviously I will still use the AC and it is best to use it when misted up as it clears it nice and quick. What I want to do it for is once it is then demisted (using the manual choice/blower knob) I then want to be able to have the direction knob turned to screen without the need to have the A/C on for the whole journey! So it's all a matter of personal preference for me that I want to choose when the A/C is on.

Colpac = That will be great if you can provide a second opinion, just so I can be 100%.

I know some will say that the CRD will not use too much more fuel with the A/C on, but I would still like the choice thanks!
Thanks for all your input so far!
----------------------------------------------------------------

There were a couple small replies also but nothing to do with how to do it.

Hope that helps.

Old 04 Feb 2012, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin thats amazing!

just what i was looking for! im suprised no-one else on here has asked about it tbh, especially UK users who have to pay extortionate prices for fuel,
(£1.44 per Litre at the minute, thats £6.54 a gallon, in $ i presume that will be about $10.38 a gallon),
and will want to save as much of it as possible.!

once again, Many thanks for that. i will be doing that mod tomorrow!

Old 04 Feb 2012, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Glad i happen to read that on the UK forum and remember where I saw it.

Old 04 Feb 2012, 08:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually, your A/C comes on to help defrost your windshield. It pulls the moisture from your car's interior. After the windshield has cleared, turn the heater knob to floor-heat. That should save you some overly-taxed British gasoline.

Tim
Old 06 Feb 2012, 05:18 am
Young Cruiser

I'm in the UK and my A/C does not come on, but the condensder does run.

How can I have hot air blowing in defrost mode if the A/C is pumping out cold aid. Or am I missing something?