Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 PT Cruiser Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2012, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser Overheating

Hi,

Long story short my Cruiser is overheating and I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Please help.

I've got a 2001 PT Cruiser with the 2.4L engine.
November 2010 I had the timing belt replaced but the water pump needed to be replaced and was not replaced. A few months later I was driving down the freeway and the Temp gauge started to go into the red. I took my car to the dealership and they replaced the water pump, repaired some damage to the timing belt cover, and replaced the low speed fan. I drove it down the freeway and it overheated again after 30 minutes. I took it back to the dealership and they then determined that it is most likely a blown head gasket or a crack in the head. They quoted me $1,600 to $1,800 for the repair depending on which it is.

I let the car sit for a few months and found alternative modes of transportation. I've been driving it to work during the winter (5-10 minutes). It's only overheated a couple of times during the cold weather. However, now that it's starting to warm up I am trying to decide if I should invest more money in the car.

Questions:

Is the dealerships price outrageous?
I live in Bellingham, WA

Has anyone tried anything like this?
I found a product at NAPA called K&W brand Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair ($20). I'm considering hiring a local shop to follow the directions on the bottle. I thought about doing it myself but there are quite a few steps and I'm not really a mechanic. Steps involve removing the thermostat and draining all of the coolant and flushing the radiator before adding the product to the radiator.

Thoughts, opinions, and advice are appreciated.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser Overheating

owenkalu,

had same problem with my 02 cruiser. replaced stock electric fan, flushed cooling system, still overheated where coolant tank would overflow too.

buddy had me to check radiator, see if mid section of radiator (front side over cooling fins) was warm to the touch, it was cool, the outer edge was warm.

ordered a new radiator from 1800radiator, that solved the problem. also, the temp gauge is normal with needle at 3 oclock position.

hope this helps,

mok
Old 05 Feb 2012, 11:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Some sealers aren't snake oil, they actually work on chemical properties.

I'd certainly check radiator as well.

IIRC, Bars leaks was the old skuhl brand name for radiator repair.

I would guess your headgasket has failed by now in any case,
and it is expensive to have someone else repair.
There are how-to's on here, the gasket itself is only $35-$45
Old 08 Jul 2012, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi my pt cruiser was overheating and just so everyone knows, I looked everywhere for answers and, I did not find any useful help. So this is how I solved my 2001 pt cruiser overheating problem, I first replaced the thermostat, that did nothing, so I then put in a brand new radiator and also flushed out the system, now the car has not overheated at all, and I have the air conditioner on full, and after I did that I fixed the error code that I was getting (P0551) power steering pressure switch... Now the check engine light is not coming on any more... I also refilled the air conditioning cooling system which makes the car ice cold in Just a few minutes... So I hope this helps someone that is having overheating problems....
Old 10 Jul 2012, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2004 PT, Here is my fix...

I'm not a mechanic and I'm not even mechanically inclined so bare with me. I understand basic trouble shooting and I'm cheap, so I found the problem fairly easy once I decided to look.

I was overheating and losing coolant, on really hot day I would park the car and when I came back there was a puddle the size of a lake.

My overheating problem was accompanied by a chirping from the left front side and a leak that was in the area of the water pump, the dealer immediately declared the water pump leaking and said it was way past time to replace it and the belts anyway.

$1200.00 later, the car actually drove out of the service bay with the same chirping. I insisted that they fix it and refused to take possession.

They said it was the belt tensioner needed adjusting after being replaced and the next day declared it fixed (again), I drove it home and came out later to a puddle and overheating car again.

Took it to another dealer to get paper saying it was still leaking. He too said the water pump needed replacing, so I decided to take it home and trouble shoot it myself.

You are not going to believe this, the hose at the radiator cap was SPRAYING coolant on the belts was the source of the chirp and the leak. A THIRTY NINE CENT CLAMP from home depot solved the problem COMPLETELY. I'm not sure if there was a clamp on that hose before and it broke, or was removed, but putting a clamp there and refilling the coolant solved the problem. No leak, no chirp.

Chrysler refunded my repair costs 100% (lest parts) and even then I made an issue of their markup and refused to pay full price for the parts. We eventually agreed that a 25% discount on their original parts quotes was fair.

Three weeks so far and all is well, no leak, no chirp, no overheating.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Marknderm, PeteM,

Glad you both got your problems fixed. Both problems are well known to this forum. Mark, you said you looked everywhere and both of you are first posters so keep us in mind next time you have a problem. We seen or heard of every kind of problem the PT can come up with and overheating is probably one of the most talked about, that and problems with the air-conditioning.
We have a Welcome New Members thread at the top of the forum if either of you would like to introduce yourselves and tell us about your PT. We're glad to help with any other problem you might come up with.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Jul 2012, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Marknderm, PeteM,

Glad you both got your problems fixed. Both problems are well known to this forum. Mark, you said you looked everywhere and both of you are first posters so keep us in mind next time you have a problem. We seen or heard of every kind of problem the PT can come up with and overheating is probably one of the most talked about, that and problems with the air-conditioning.
We have a Welcome New Members thread at the top of the forum if either of you would like to introduce yourselves and tell us about your PT. We're glad to help with any other problem you might come up with.
Hi Crewzin, thanks for the welcome. You say my problem is well known to this forum, I would love to read the links to other people having my problem and solving it as easily as I did. It will help me with Chrysler.

Thanks!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pete,

Can I say they fixed it as easily as you did, probably not, but following suggestion we make should have help track down the leak.

You mean a leak at the upper radiator hose as it goes into the radiator outlet connector (2) in the picture below? When someone comes to the forum we usually tell them to look for signs of dried (or in your case wet) coolant on that connector above the thermostat. We tell them overheating issues are/could be a number of things including the thermostat, clogged radiator, bad fan, trapped air caused by loosing some fluid or cracked head gasket. That means to look for signs of any of those that cold be bad.

If your hose was leaking from that area where it goes onto to the outlet connector, you must have been loosing fluid which is one of the things we tell people to look for. That dry/wet fluid on the connector would have been a clue to your coolant leaking down towards the belt from the loose hose.

Added: What do you mean "help you with Chrysler" ?? If your going to try and say they made a wrong diagnosis, good luck. We've seen where Chrysler sold computers to owners to find out they didn't need it along with other electrical sensors that didn't fix a problem.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Jul 2012 at 02:42 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 03:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks all for sharing- That's a good pic, Crewzin-

Found the thermostat housing would leak on Neon (we use the PT waterneck/adapter adapted to neon head) in certain situations.
Problem was, coolant would evaporate before we could find the source ...

So totally understand when people have difficulty finding a leak!!!!!!

Water pumps have a 'weep hole', IIRC, it's easy to crawl under and look up directly in hole for coolant/residue.

Water pump housings will push away from block from corrosion- PT's are prolly too new to start seeing this, but Neon has already done this.

My PT has a leaky radiator cap, bought it from Chrysler at $16 or something
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Pete,
As much of a hassle you went through, consider yourself lucky if you got Chrysler to replace your timing belt, tensioner, and water pump for parts only! That's standard maintenance at around 100k miles, and dealers/mechanic usually charge upwards of $1000 for the fix. You can do it yourself for about $100 in parts, but it definitely is a pain in the ass.

So even though you had a bad experience with the dealership, it actually worked out well for you!

Tags
headgasket, overheating