Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best Programmer or tuner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2012, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Best Programmer or tuner

Based on your own personal experience, what's the best programmer or tuner for my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition, obviously non-Turbo. I'm looking to get more power, if no one can help me I guess a custom dyno tune will be what I have to do. lol

Please link.
Team Southen Hertz

2001 PT Limited 70k miles.
Sound Solutions Audio ZCON
DIGITAL DESIGNS True to the source

PRS <3

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Old 05 Feb 2012, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best Programmer or tuner

For the upteenth time, unless you have deep pockets, your non-turbo PT is a CRUISER and that's all it's going to be. There is no tuning for the PCM that's worth the money. If you think 15hp is worth it for about $300, try the JET add-on but anyone gets near your PCM to upgrade or flash the PCM, the JET add-on is gone. You can throw a CAI or free flow exhaust or any one of the gimmicks like the throttle body spacer into it and it won't matter.

A CAI and a good tune-up with plugs and wires might make it run smoother but as far as power goes there's almost nothing your going to do that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

Now if you want to spend the money, there was a blower made for the 01-02 cruisers (you still might be about to find one) and you can mess with a cam and head work, but that's a different story.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
For the upteenth time, unless you have deep pockets, your non-turbo PT is a CRUISER and that's all it's going to be. There is no tuning for the PCM that's worth the money. If you think 15hp is worth it for about $300, try the JET add-on but anyone gets near your PCM to upgrade or flash the PCM, the JET add-on is gone. You can throw a CAI or free flow exhaust or any one of the gimmicks like the throttle body spacer into it and it won't matter.

A CAI and a good tune-up with plugs and wires might make it run smoother but as far as power goes there's almost nothing your going to do that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

Now if you want to spend the money, there was a blower made for the 01-02 cruisers (you still might be about to find one) and you can mess with a cam and head work, but that's a different story.
I am just looking to get back some of the lost power from putting in the heavy stereo. I know, it's non-Turbo, so I can't expect a lot. Just a little help.

I've got my eye out for my next Chrysler product that will have a lot more muscle.
Team Southen Hertz

PRS <3

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Old 05 Feb 2012, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The new Dodge Dart is right around the corner. Three different engine to choose from.

If your lost power is from weight of added equipment and you don't need the rear seats, there's approx 100lbs that you can take out. The spare tire, stock wheels (replaced by lightweight aluminum) can help also.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The new Dodge Dart is right around the corner. Three different engine to choose from.

If your lost power is from weight of added equipment and you don't need the rear seats, there's approx 100lbs that you can take out. The spare tire, stock wheels (replaced by lightweight aluminum) can help also.
Rear seats have been out, replaced with 440Lbs of batteries in their place. lol

I've definitely been looking into some nice aftermarket rims. And recommendations where to buy?

I've been looking for a 300c SRT8 for my next vehicle, I'd keep the PT and alternate driving them so neither gets a ton of miles.
Team Southen Hertz

PRS <3

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Old 05 Feb 2012, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wheels are a real personal item. So many to choose from but Tire Rack and Discount Tire has a wide selection and can show you what they look like on a PT before you buy.

And as far as making up for 440lbs, there's not a lot you can do to make up that amount of weight.

Old 05 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Except drive down hill all the time!