Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"HOPPING" AT TOP OF GEARS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy "HOPPING" AT TOP OF GEARS

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser, 5 speed non turbo. Few days ago on the way home from work, stopped at traffic light and when started to go the car started hopping or jerking. Shifted to second would go little bit and start again with the jerking. Seems at the top of each gear. CEL on so took it for codes and one was cooling(P0128) (happens each winter then goes away) and the other CKP sensor (P0340). Drove yesterday all day and it did not happen. Replaced the CKP sensor today and now problem is worse, bad hopping/jerking forcing me to shift higher before I should, died making turn and now the CEL is flashing. Have not taken back to see if new codes - just wanted to get home. Anyone had this issue?
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "HOPPING" AT TOP OF GEARS

Did you replace the sensor with one from an auto store or Chrysler? Out PT's don't like after market sensors so if you did, get yourself one from the dealer.

If it is from the dealer, check over the wiring harness that comes from the sensor. They have been known to rub against something (half shaft on mine) and wear through the outer casing until the wires tear apart.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

First, your thermostat is stuck open or the sensor has failed.
THis pukes in far too much fuel, either way.

I'm not sure what to make of the other code.
Many have said to get the Crank sensor from the dealer; I'm partial to Standard motors products (Non "T" series) so it's possible sensor quality could be an issue.

Connectors and harnesses do fail, so a thorough inspection is in order.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Ooops!!! Stepped on you again!!!

Looks like I was just redundant to your post anyways
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Ooops!!! Stepped on you again!!!

Looks like I was just redundant to your post anyways

Hey, no problem. My typing speed is getting pretty good nowadays. Used to hunt & peck but now using both hands.

Besides, I didn't even think of the thermostat and it's nice to have someone else have the same ideas, which gives me more confidence in answering.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just because the computer gives a code for something doesn't mean you need that part. That just gets you in the neighborhood.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks...just registered today and need the help. 1) thermostat will have to wait for funds to take to the shop. 2) bought non-chrysler sensor. 3) almost feels like a clutch issue?
Old 09 Feb 2012, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: "HOPPING" AT TOP OF GEARS

Hey guys. Been a long week. I discovered that the idiot at Advance wrote camshaft sensor and sold me crankshaft sensor. I replaced a "not bad" crankshaft sensor and things got worse. I got the camshaft sensor (from Autozone) and installed that. Tonight I re-replaced my crankshaft sensor with the original one and my CEL cleared and no more pogo stick at 2500 RPM. The only small glitch is that I am idling too low at a stop and dies 2 of 3 times. Any suggestions? Granted it is better than the "pogo" car but would like to fix it all and be done. Thanks so much!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 07:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

WOW!

So it was a junk 'new' sensor????
Old 09 Feb 2012, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That was part of it but the old sensor wasn't bad. I put the old one back in and all is good. With the new "junk" one it did not even recognize that there was one.