PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical fault-headlight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2012, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Electrical fault-headlight

Hi All,
I have reading through the forums trying to find info about my fault on my wife's car. The car has been great for us so far but we do have one expensive annoying problem. Essentially one headlight is not working, bulb is fine. It has been to the dealer and they said that the light is not getting power and the TIPAM unit needs replacing. I now think they mean TIPM after reading an older thread from "havensole" RE 2006 NO TURN SIGNAL OR HEADLIGHT. Anyway to replace unit which they assure me is all part, minimum labour is going to cost $2,600.00. Yep, we nearly fell over. After googling parts places in the US I can't see any computer part costing this much on a PT cruiser. Can anybody shed some light on this part, where it sits in the car and possibly where I can buy one from. Also, can you fit a second hand unit. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 05 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical fault-headlight

You need to give specific car info & what country some things are different on exported PTs.
Old 06 Feb 2012, 05:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The TIPM (Totalally Integrated Power Module) for the 2006-2010 model is located in the engine compartment behind the battery. In the 01-05 PT's it was called the PDC (Power Distribution Center). In layman's terms it's called the fuse box. From what I've read, if it goes bad both the box and wiring harness has to be replaced and it is expensive but not as expensive as your dealer wants.

Here's an older thread to look over (2 pages). Maybe it will help.

UPDATE.. Totally Intergrated Power Module needed

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Feb 2012 at 05:33 am.
Old 06 Feb 2012, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car is a 2006 Classic , auto sold in Australia.
Thanks.
Old 06 Feb 2012, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well help arrived already. Thought it was a export. CREWZEN has some experance on that. I'll leave you to you reading and good luck.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Electrical fault-headlight

Thanks CREWZIN, really interesting. When our car was at our local mechanics I had him check the air-con as well as my wife said it's not working too well and there was a funny noise coming from that area. From reading the thread you attached the TIPM can also be blamed for A/C not working due to faulty signals being sent to the compressor-the compressor seams to be cutting in and out the whole time. Sooo, hopefully replacing the TIPM will rectify both headlight and A/C problem. My mechanic said the aircon would cost about $2500-$2800 to fix, so that combined with $2600 for TIPM, well things were looking very grim for us. Looking at the thread I should be able to import one from the states for around $1000 which I would be very happy with. Big question now is does anybody no where I can buy this unit from, including the harness. (those opther links in thread didn't work) thanks again all.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't answer that one. Place I know for parts RockAuto.com I don't think deals in overseas shipments. Hopefully someone else can help.

If you want to check them out: RockAuto Auto Parts

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.