Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating and Other Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2012, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating and Other Issues

Hello I'm new here, I hope I'm posting this to the right forum location.

I bought a 2005 PT Cruiser here in MI about a month ago from a private owner. The owner seemed to be a "DIY Mechanic" and took care of it really well. It has just about 53,000 miles on it and he already replaced the timing chain (as it was brought to his attention that it would need to be replaced at or around 50,000 miles).

About a little over a week ago, I was driving to class about 40 miles away and the car started overheating. I noticed that when I pulled over there was no coolant in the reservoir. I found this interesting and when I put more in, I let the car cool down for a bit. I started driving again and it started overheating almost immediately. I pulled it over again and without thinking I started turning the radiator cap. I immediately stopped and backed up once the steam started coming out. I let the car sit for about 5-10 minutes and checked under the radiator cap and there was no coolant to be found. I put some coolant underneath that radiator cap and began driving again.

I noticed a slight ticking noise, but it wasn't very loud and I thought that it could be a thermostat issue. After I drove to class, I noticed that the coolant was almost gone, so I put the rest of what coolant I had in and there was no problem driving back home. Since then I've kept up on the coolant making sure that my car doesn't overheat. It hasn't since that Saturday morning. Friday morning I noticed a loud ticking noise on start up, but after I accelerate and get between 25-45 MPH the noise goes away for the most part.

The reason I say that I'm from MI is to give you an idea of the temperature condition compared to other states. The noise is only really prevalent when I'm idle or in park. I did not notice any major fluid on the ground underneath the engine, but I'm still losing coolant somewhere. I've heard that it could be a lifter problem, but I figured I would post this scenario here to see if you guys can come up with something. I've read some postings here before and it seems like you know what you're talking about

Thank you in advance for your help! I greatly appreciate it!
Old 06 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating and Other Issues

Sounds like you have at least two different issues, and the way it sounds the second problem is a result of the first problem (Overheating)

As you must've read, there's several common problems with the PT and overheating.
First, is cooling fans. These would cause overheat at lower vehicle speeds.
Next, is anything that is in the cooling system- Not PT specific, could be a Buick or Oliver tractor were talking of-
So, frozen radiator (last guy used only water instead of proper coolant mix), plugged radiator due to corrosion, stuck thermostat, leak, etc.

As far as the tick goes, I'll ask the question what could happen to a vehicle to make it tick.

I'm only speculating-

Severe headgasket leak, oil contaminated with water, severe piston damage.
My pistons are so worn, they knock for the first few minutes in extreme cold. You'd not notice this in a well insulated car like the PT.

Last, we want to assume he replace the water pump and timing belt correctly, and with quality parts. Even the best can 'mess up' a job.

My advice is to drain the cooling system, and replace coolant with 50/50 mix-
You're supposed to use a type called HOAT; in this case you might find the least expensive (even get a few jugs from the junkyard, they'll sell it)
and see if this cures your problems.
If so, you can have her flushed and install HOAT and distilled water.

My biggest concern is that the headgasket is leaking between cylinder #2 and #3. THis doesn't occur often, but when it does combusting gasses will actually burn a hole between the two cylinders.
Obviously, check the oil to ensure it's full and uncontaminated.
And Welcome!
Old 06 Feb 2012, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post

My biggest concern is that the headgasket is leaking between cylinder #2 and #3. THis doesn't occur often, but when it does combusting gasses will actually burn a hole between the two cylinders.
Obviously, check the oil to ensure it's full and uncontaminated.
And Welcome!
If this is happening you should smell a sweet odor to your exhaust and a white steam from the tailpipe. In cold temps. the steam might be hard to judge. But the smell will tell the tail. No I'm not a poet.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Most likely this is what will happen.

There is a small chance that it wouldn't leak into the coolant; you can see there's no coolant passages between the cylinders:

I'd say again that this occurring is a small chance, and as busted pointed out, it occurring without telltale 'steam' out the exhaust is a smaller chance yet.
Old 07 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for all of your input. I have some updates but still no complete solution.

The loud ticking sound was coming from a flywheel in the transmission. I'm not really a car person so I'm sorry if I'm not speaking mechanically sound. From what I'm gathering I don't think that this would cause any sort of coolant burn off. Please correct me if I'm wrong

There was a pressure test done on the motor, and the test came back good. I'm personally glad that it came back with positive results. Now I'm just curious on why I lost so much coolant at the beginning of my problem and why it's burning off slower since. I don't notice any leaks on the ground.

My questions now...are these two things unrelated? And where would I be losing coolant?
Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Coolant doesn't simply disappear.

How much coolant have you been replacing? The entire system, including the engine block, radiator, hoses, and heater core, takes something like 7 quarts.

When I nearly overheated mine due to the oft-reported fan issue in traffic - I found that it boiled over into the reservoir and the reservoir filled and it leaked through its overflow. I lost about a quart.

When I had a pinhole in the radiator it was fairly obvious when the car was hot - I could hear it and see the steam escape and see a puddle on the ground. I lost about 2 quarts then.

When I developed a burst lower radiator hose coolant exploded from the underside - I lost nearly 6 quarts - as the motor and radiator both emptied, but there was still some int he heater core and in various parts of the motor.

It's actually hard to completely empty the vehicle of coolant, but when you do it is also hard to completely fill it. After you add enough through the radiator fill cap, you should run the car with it open and the heat on full blast. This will cycle through the heater core as well - and it will allow bubbles or air pockets in the motor to rise to the fill cap. Also - until the thermostat opens you are only filling the radiator - the motor has very little coolant flow until the motor heats up. It generally takes roughly 20 minutes to fill during a total coolant replacement.

So if you are only filling a quart at a time - perhaps you are still dealing with the air bubbles? How are you determining that it's "empty"?

Quote:
There was a pressure test done on the motor
Sounds like a coolant pressure test - would verify that there are no holes in the motor. It "should" but not 100% also verify the head gasket is intact -as you would expect at least one of the valves to be open. Theres only 4 cylinders after all.

Quote:
The loud ticking sound was coming from a flywheel in the transmission.
If your car is auto, it has a fairly large toothed "plate" on the output shaft of the motor opposite the harmonic balancer. Its on the driver side of the pt cruiser. This attaches with bolts to the fluid coupling (torque converter) of the transmission. It is a big spinning part. It doesn't really have anything that could make noise, and if it were a loose bolt I would imagine it would come apart fairly rapidly. A normal transmission will make no noise, and I can't conceive any repair operation besides the solenoid pack replacement that could account for stopping any noise the transmission might make.

Just saying.

Smell your exhaust if you haven't. Like I said at the outset - coolant doesn't disappear. It leaks on the ground, or its burned inside the motor. Even if it boils over you will be able to hear that.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As Bob Dole said, there's a place coolant goes, it very well may have
heated so badly that it turned to steam, and what you're experiencing now
is air pockets being filled.
I'll agree the pressure test doesn't necessarily mean the head gasket's good;
combustion gasses are dozens of times higher pressure than the 20lbs used to pressure test cooling system.
IOW, the gasket will contain the lower number, but not the upper.

If it's a manual, clutches can and do come apart.

Auto's AND manuals have bolts that affix the 'flexplate' to the torque conveter
or modular clutch (They pretty much stopped using a 'conventional' clutch after 1995 in "P" bodies.)
You should have these bolts checked.

You seem to be 'on top' of the coolant situation, just check and fill as you
have been, when engine's cool. Post further developments.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I just got my car back from the shop. The ticking is gone, (flexplate was cracked, or something to that extent) so at least that's a relief. I didn't get a chance to smell my exhaust from the tailpipe, but I'll do that tomorrow.

I wish I knew how long it took to lose all of the coolant/anti-freeze in the first place. That would have possibly pin-pointed the location of the leak or burning a little quicker.

I know the recommended coolant type is HOAT, but is it worth it? I'm not saying that to be skeptical, I'm saying that simply because I don't know and would like an experienced opinion.

I'll keep posting updates, and I'll try smelling the exhaust and other things suggested. I greatly appreciate it!
Old 16 Aug 2015, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How much did they charge you to fix the flexplate? I think I have the same issues and then some.