PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what octane of gas do you use. recommends 87 WHAT!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default what octane of gas do you use. recommends 87 WHAT!!!!

OK not sure if i should have posted this in general discussion because it really seems to be a growing trend with new cars to recommend 87.

That being said; i want to know - who puts what and where; just kidding.

I have never owned a car under 10 years old and just bought a 2004 pt cruiser touring edition. Right in the manual it says recommend 87 for not turbo and 91 for turbo. I hear this from many friends with newer cars and the way i look at it; if it is fuel injected use good gas and high octane. I only chance putting 87 in my car if it is at a quality gas staion(my preference is shell). I have heard the reason for this "use low octane" trend is smaller motors, more aluminum and chances of running hotter with higher octane and causing warping of engine parts.

So i think it would be interesting to hear from people and find out what they use, how many miles they have got to, what engine problems they have had and whatever else you guys might think would be good info. Maybe with enough posts we can have a good idea what is really working the best.

I just bought the PT Cruiser so i cant put it but i will at least put some of my other cars. On average i use highest octane available at walmart and kroger and usually try to fill up once or twice a month at shell with highest octane.

1996 Dodge Intrepid
majority high octane gas
i have owned it for 145,000 miles it has 206,000+
Idles a little funny and is about 30,000 miles past due for a timing chain replacement.
synthetic oil has been used much of its life.
semi decent oil change schedule.
no major engine problems ever.
transmission with slight problem.

1996 chrysler LHS
majority high octane gas
owned it for around 30,000 miles had over 200,000 total
crank sensor needed to be replaced
semi decent oil changes
no major engine problems.
Transmission completely shot.(this could be a whole other post on mid 90 model transmissions letting go or is it just me)

i will let you know how my PT Cruiser gas experience goes.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: what octane of gas do you use. recommends 87 WHAT!!!!

There is no benefit to run a higher octane fuel than what the engine needs. Lower octane fuel actually has more BTU per unit and there for makes more power and produces better economy. High octane fuel is more difficult to ignite and burn and thats the reason it is used in high compression/high performance engines, it resists preignition/detonation.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 09 Feb 2012, 12:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
There is no benefit to run a higher octane fuel than what the engine needs. Lower octane fuel actually has more BTU per unit and there for makes more power and produces better economy. High octane fuel is more difficult to ignite and burn and thats the reason it is used in high compression/high performance engines, it resists preignition/detonation.
QFT!!!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 06:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
QFT!!!

For those of us that aren't familiar with that particular term:

This peculiar QFT acronym expression stands for "Quoted For Truth". It has two particular meanings when used in a discussion forum.

1) QFT is an expression of agreement and support, where the user stands behind you and one of your statements. This commonly occurs in controversial topics where opinions are very heated, and people will choose sides in an argument. If someone "quotes you for truth", they are paying you a compliment, and siding with you in the discussion.

2) QFT can also be used to preserve an original forum post, so that the original author cannot edit after the fact. A user who copy-pastes the original forum content will sometimes put the letters "QFT" at the top of the copy-paste. It is a type of forensic stamp, commonly used during very heated discussions on a controversial topic.

Thanks to Google.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 07:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
For those of us that aren't familiar with that particular term:

This peculiar QFT acronym expression stands for "Quoted For Truth". It has two particular meanings when used in a discussion forum.

1) QFT is an expression of agreement and support, where the user stands behind you and one of your statements. This commonly occurs in controversial topics where opinions are very heated, and people will choose sides in an argument. If someone "quotes you for truth", they are paying you a compliment, and siding with you in the discussion.

2) QFT can also be used to preserve an original forum post, so that the original author cannot edit after the fact. A user who copy-pastes the original forum content will sometimes put the letters "QFT" at the top of the copy-paste. It is a type of forensic stamp, commonly used during very heated discussions on a controversial topic.

Thanks to Google.
QFT.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Now if you really, really want controversy, we can talk about alcohol (aka E-85, aka 'drink' alcohol):
-You need to use LOTS more
-fuel for fuel it will produce more power (Low-mid single digit percentages increase)
- You can support nearly any compression ratio or boost pressure- Literally.
- Theres no environmental impact from a spill, only from the 15% gasoline it contains. IOW, the worms get drunk!
- There a lot of back and forth on how much it costs to make, the amount of water used, that it's displacing food, etc. We wouldn't have enough bandwidth to discuss this all.
- Only the carbohydrates are used from corn, sugar beets, rice, barley used to make alcohol. The remaining 'protein' or chaff is fed to livestock.
-Alcohol was used before gasoline in automotive engines, it was necessary as there weren't a such thing as filling station, and farmers would simply distill it themselves.
- It's frequently confused with 'Meth', methanol is very corrosive, ethanol isn't. You can, and likely do, drink it!
-You don't use special oils, engine components, etc, etc.
- You're PT will run on it w/o modifications, it will throw codes for 'too lean' because it will be and it will perform poorly- So in an emergency or 'mistake' you'll simply need to run it out and replace with gasoline.
- It's made right here! Not by these guys:
(Not to be racist)
Old 09 Feb 2012, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replies.
rcktpwrd good point on that i havent heard that yet so it is some new good info.

crewzin thanks for clearing up the qft.As soon as i saw it i was like what does that mean and scroll down and there it was.

Uptownsport i really didnt want to start controversy. i really was wanting to see if i could get people to post what they had and what they use and what problems they had. Maybe after many posts we might see a trend of people putting high octane have less problems or people that just get gas at the cheapest gas station have more problems. OR maybe not. I have a couple friends with newer cars some sticking to the i'll just put 87 in and i hear numerous problems and they havent even gotten past 50,000 miles. Then again the same people i hear with these problems get gas in what i would consider sub par gas stations.

Ok onto ethanol, man that stuff is everywhere and mixed in every gas station around. not sure if we have E85 here. This is one of the primary reasons people suggest not to use high octane because ethanol burns hot. Now back in the day when steel was used in cars i dont think it mattered but the cars of today have so many aluminum parts and plastic crap. i am surprised they havent made a plastic engine yet i mean how many inline 6 cylinders have you ever seen with warped heads lol.

Another crazy note on corn is that stuff is used in everything; lots of foods and beverages and even used to make magazines have a glossy surface. i cant even remember what else but it is way more then i ever figured.

Ok so i am rambling again and yes i did have an alterior motive for posting. i want to know; are the people using crap gas getting good results, are the people using low octane gas form good stations getting good results, are the car manufacturers just telling you this so your car wont make it as long as they used to(conspiracy theory brewing lol)
Old 09 Feb 2012, 04:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here in Missouri, all we can get is 10% ethanol as long as it is cheaper than 100% gasoline - that's the state law. so most of the time, we run on 90/10. When the price of ethanol is greater than the price of gasoline, we get 100% gas. Does that make sense? No, but it's the law.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 05:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

For a N/A use 87 octane...Been using it for 131000 miles on my wife's 01 N/A and never had any problems....I use the same on my 95 Chevy Astro with 229000 miles
Old 09 Feb 2012, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks xtrmdc2 thats what i am looking for. do you use any gas station or stay with good brands?