PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anything else I should be looking for? 100k maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anything else I should be looking for? 100k maintenance.

Timing belt broke on me which has sparked the rash of repairing everything needed so that it's good for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind I hardly ever work on cars, but am familiar with a wrench from working on motorcycles, so have been able to do all the maintenance myself thus far with a manual by my side.

Car didn't have any maintenance outside of fluids and brake pads from 40k (when I got it) til 100k

I just passed 100k on my 2001 (2.4L AT) cruiser and have done the following:
water pump
timing belt(plus idler/tensioner)
new pulley
alt belt
serp belt
plugs and wires
thermostat and housing
camshaft sensor
filters and fluids (air, oil, trans, coolant)
checked hi/low fan operation

I was planning on moving onto the suspension next:
new rear shocks and front struts,
brake pads,
my question is what else should I check/replace in this area?
wheel bearings? control arms? sway bar bushings?
I'm asking the experts here so that I don't miss anything.
I plan on taking it in for new tires and alignment after I replace
what's needed.

Anything else major I should be watching at this mileage?

Any insight is greatly appreciated
Old 10 Feb 2012, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Anything else I should be looking for? 100k maintenance.

I'm surprised you haven't had to replace the control arm bushings by now. Most cruisers of that mileage will need them I guess.

Anyway I'd check front control arm bushes and struts and all other bushes around the sway bars as you have mentioned.

There will be others along shortly I'd expect with more advice.

Did you do the timing belt change yourself?
Old 10 Feb 2012, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you got it pretty good brakes bearings maybe the motor mounts--might be able to fill them with goo and not have to replace--maybe a flush and fill of the tranny and the rediator
Old 10 Feb 2012, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I was able to do the timing belt myself, took me prolly in the neighborhood of 50 hours by myself spread over 3 weeks. Longer than all the estimates I read, but was able to get everything lined up the first time and idles smoothly at 750 rpm and have been driving it for a week now no issues.

As I said I've worked on motorcycles everything from ground up rebuilds, but never done more than an oil change on a car in my life. I didn't want to pay the shop premium and everyone local that I talked to who offered to do it cheaper didn't sound like they know what they were doing that's why I decided to do it myself.

When i dove into it the timing belt was broke in 3 places, literally shredded and countless missing teeth, looking back it's been heading south for a long time. I had alternate transportation otherwise it's not something I would have dove into.

When I was putting the timing belt on I lined everything up straight and then used 2 ratchets on the cam shafts at the same time, slipped it over the intake after turning it clockwise and then back to center, then turned the exhaust clockwise while i turned the intake slightly counter clockwise, giving me enough slack to slip over the exhaust with the right tension, turned the intake back clockwise and then the exhaust back counter clockwise to center.

I was also able to do the water pump without taking off the cam sprockets, taking out all the screws gave me enough room to bend the rear timing cover forward without cracking it.

I truly hate that passenger side motor mount though, wasted so much time maneuvering that thing around.

I already redid the motor mount gaskets with that automotive window sealant as I had read works.
Old 11 Feb 2012, 08:29 am
Senior Cruiser

If you need bushings, get the moog control arms and also the inner cushions for the front sway bar and the outer links from Moog. Rock auto has some good pricing.

You may be due for struts. I bought Tokico blues and the moog bearing kits for the struts and Tokico shocks. I think I got them thru the internet, you have to search around.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue