Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starter Issue... Any Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Starter Issue... Any Suggestions?

I purchased my 2002 LE Cruiser last August and since then I have now been through 4 starters, all under 7 months. Yes, 7 months. Within the first couple weeks of driving my cruiser the starter went out and I took it to my local Pep Boys, and they told me the starter was fine and that it was just a loose cable. So, they ďpluggedĒ it in and all was great. A few months after that the starter again went out, with the classic symptom of the ticking noise and I still had full power to everything, so it wasnít the battery. I take it back to Pep Boys and the put in a new REMAN starter, and we have been through them taking it out and putting in a new REMAN a total of 3 times. Pep Boys told me every time it was their parts that were the issue, until the 4th time they told me that I would need to bring in a new part for them to put in and they would refund me my money for their starter. I went to my local dealer and they gave me new starter and Pep Boys put it in. I did that yesterday, and this morning when my dad put in a new battery for me the starter would not start once again. We tried to bump start the starter by knocking it gently and there was a spark. We had knocked the starter before on our own, and with tow truck drivers and that never had happened.
Needless to say, my Cruiser is now in a shop AAA recommended to me to have an electrical diagnostic test performed. I thought I was truly unlucky and just received junk starters from Pep Boys and I felt better having a part from the dealer put in. I know for certain now it is something else that is killing my starters.
Iím writing to ask if anyone might have any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be. Iím still waiting to hear back from the Auto Shop, and Iím just here being a worry wart lol.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I will be looking forward to your replies.
Old 11 Feb 2012, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starter Issue... Any Suggestions?

Was the new one in a mopor box.
Old 11 Feb 2012, 03:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Flexplates get bent if engine was ever out, the 'wobble' will chew up bendix.
Doesn't sound lie that's what's happening, new cars start so well starters get
very little use- Don't think we've ever had a bad one.

Other than that, it's hard to figure what ould destroy it- We used to jump start 6v systems with 12v systems, and they still had the original 195x starter ...
Old 11 Feb 2012, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Was the new one in a mopor box.
When I picked it up at the dealer it was in a sealed brown box and the only label on the box looked to be from where they had it shipped from, and it had my name on it, as I was the one who ordered it. When I called the part department and asked if the part was brand new or REMAN before I ordered it, they told me it was new because they had no REMAN available. The mechanic at the shop did ask me if it was brand new or REMAN and I showed him my receipt for the part, and he was concerned that it didn't say new on the receipt. So he was going to call for me and check to see. He did have doubts that it wasn't new because it is an older car, and the price that I paid for the part was to reasonable to be brand new lol.
Old 11 Feb 2012, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

New:
Quote:
2002 - CHRYSLER - PT CRUISER - - L4 - 2.4L - GAS
STARTER / STARTER / STARTER / STARTER
5033067AA - STARTER PT Cruiser
Chrysler Motors Services The Starter As A Complete New Unit Only.
MSRP $282.00
(Parts descriptions are kinda goofy, next paragraph describes starter as for an '01)

Looks like the opposite; the PT is too new to be in the reman manual ...
Old 15 Feb 2012, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got my car back today and the mechanic is very confident he figured out what my starter problem was.

Originally when I very first took my cruiser to Pep Boys they told me that the starter had a loose connection so they just plugged it in. Well, that same loose connection has been the problem all 4 times the starter went out. The mechanic showed me how the starter connects, and one of the prongs was bent on it. That prong was keeping it from having a good connection, and then he said something about an insulator (I'm not sure what it was, but it was a small yellow round part). He suspects that each time Pep Boys changed their starters ( That I didn't even need ) they bent the prong more and more, because they kept forcing it in.

So, he put silicone around the connectors to keep the seal and he's very confident I shouldn't have anymore issues. I ended up having my radiator replaced as well, I had a leak at the top of it apparently, and that's why I didn't see any leaking water.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else had a mysterious starter issue. I will not be going back to Pep Boys at all for any reason as well. lol.

Thank you to those who posted replies, I appreciate your time.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Starter Issue... Any Suggestions?

That the kind of thing that's easily missed buy a novice or so mechanic. And could drive the rest of crazy. Thanks for following up with fix information.