PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new cruiser with a few little problems...!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2012, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default new cruiser with a few little problems...!

HI, I'm new to this forum and new to cruisers so please be gentle! we just bought a 2001 touring edition cruiser 2 litre (uk manual) and we LOVE it! There do seem to be a couple of issues with it which I hope are either normal, or can be fixed..

First, when driving and changing gear the revs are slow to settle, it seems as if the throttle is a bit stuck or something, when I change gear the revs even go up a little. When going at a steady speed, if I take my foot off the accelerator the car keeps going at the same speed for ages before it slows down (no, cruise control isn't on!), is this normal for these cars or something that should be checked? I'm sure it will use more fuel the way it is!

Secondly, there's something wrong with the air blowers. The air con and fans all work perfectly, however I can only get the air to actually blow out of the windscreen demister bit, and not at all through any of the air outlets on the console where the radio is. Any suggestions as to why this could be?

Lastly, the aerial broke off, can anyone tell me in detail how to replace it? THe screw in bit needs replacing too.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks for reading
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: new cruiser with a few little problems...!

roz, welcome to the forum.

On your first problem it may be as simple as cleaning the inside of the throttle body. Seafoam does wonders, mostly for high mileage cars. You can also try spraying carb cleaner into the TB itself to clean out any built up carbon.

If that doesn't work, you have two electrical components attached to the back of the throttle body that help with idle and the butterfly workings.

One is the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and the other is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). The IAC can be taken off and cleaned or easily replaced, the TPs I don't think can be cleaned (but you can try) and again, pretty easily replaced.

IAC

TPs

The air not blowing into any of the others vents is probably a problem with the levers of the HVAC (Heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning) system. Not easily worked on because it's inside the dash.

On the antenna, not sure if you have the same one as the U.S. cars. I've heard you have the retractable type where our's are non-retractable so the fittings are different.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

the rev problem could also be due to a split vacuum hose, if you pull off the panel on the top of the engine (just pulls straight up) youll see a hose about 6" long, might have a split in it. had that problem with mine (uk model also) replaced the hose and its perfect now.

yes the UK models have the retractable aerials, horrible to replace as theyre in the wing, try eBay for a replacement.

cheers

2000 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Auto

Last edited by JonnoSkye83; 12 Feb 2012 at 10:53 am.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Bingo! Split vacuum hose, hubby just looked, "great big hole" was the verdict, so will replace that tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the prob;em. Thanks for your quick and informative replies!

As for the others, I can live with the fan problem for the moment, and we've cemented the antenna in with some metal putty stuff - job done!

Thanks
Old 12 Feb 2012, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good job Jonno.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no problem experience is the best teacher!

roz84, if you want to cheat a bit, standard garden hose pipe is the right size by the way

2000 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Auto