P0522 remains after new oil switch installed

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By x75x75
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0522 remains after new oil switch installed

P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage.

2003 PT with 110,000 miles - parked in my driveway idling for about 30 seconds from cold when engine suddenly stopped. Tried to restart without success, engine would spin but not fire up. Cycled key and got P0522 code, went to store for new sending unit and installed, engine still would not start. Disconnected battery overnight, code cleared but engine still would not start, then after a few tries (also with jumper cables) got P0522 code again even with new sending unit installed. Turned on key and checked voltage at wire cap on switch: 12v or so. Engine still won't start, however while spinning the red dash oil pressure indicator lamp turns off, then when engine stops spinning, a few seconds later red oil light comes back on, so oil pressure is being made when the engine turns over.

Now I am stumped as to what is happening, the engine does not even sputter. What next? Thanks.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0522 remains after new oil switch installed

At 110K I have to ask; has the timing belt been changed. it's past time and if it went, the engine will spin forever without starting. You should have gotten other codes like P0340 but stranger things have happened.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was hoping that the timing belt was OK for now, I have not replaced it. I was thinking of pulling a plug to investigate the spark situation, I can smell gas vapors when the engine spins over. I figured to check compression at the same time to very valve action.

I run a small shop where I restore older model cars so I'm not afraid of replacing the timing belt myself. But if it takes a lot of my personal time I might just let the local shop do it for me while I paint a 36 Ford or something...
Old 12 Feb 2012, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The timing belt is a difficult, time consuming job. Dealer want 5 to 7 hours labor. In this section of the forum there's a thread entitled "How To". When you open that, there's a couple dozen How To threads on different parts of the cruiser and 3 or 4 on changing the timing belt. Look over any one of those to see if you want to take on the job yourself.

The PT engine is a non-interference engine so there's good change no internal damage is/was done if the timing belt goes. But first you need to find out if that's your problem. Easy way is to take off the Camshaft sensor on the right side of the engine (while standing in front). Have someone hit the starter and see if the camshaft is spinning while engine is turning. If not, the belt gone..

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good morning

I finally got the car hauled to my work area and pulled the camshaft sensor. Underneath is a wheel with 'spokes' that does not turn when the engine is cranking over, so I'm guessing timing belt is gone as you surmised.

If that sounds right, I will get a belt and whatever else I might need. From the scope of the job, might be a good time to replace other items like my squealing alternator? Are there other items to inspect with while the engine is apart?

I sure appreciate your expertise.

Brian
Old 27 Feb 2012, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Other parts we suggest is the water pump (they do wear out and it takes the same amount of time to change it as it does the timing belt), the belt tensioner (Chrysler came out with a new designed tensioner in 2004. Get the latest. Also, it the drive belts (serpentine and alternator) have been on since forever, might as well change them.

Old 29 Feb 2012, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I am gathering parts for engine repair. Three belts, a water pump and tensioner, only there is some confusion about the tensioner and idler, are they commonly available as a unit? some parts suppliers show a photo of a tensioner with a smaller idler next to it, some only show the tensioner, and there are many different looking tensioner assemblies that all say they fit. Are the tensioners dependent upon the particular brand timing belt. Do you have specific brand recommendations? or part numbers? thanks, this is extremely helpful. 2003 PT
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There were multiple tensioners available for this family, the earliest won't fit AFAIK.
Chrysler did make retrofit kits for some '99-'00 2.0 engines, I don't know that
you could put a '95-'96 on a PT (Oil filter / passages) so you need to keep the
mechanical tensioner, I believe the new style is a 'litens', and it's the best choice of the two.
There's a kit from both Chrysler and aftermarket that replaces the back time belt cover so it fits, or guys cut them out.

Get a Water Pump from the dealer, ensure it new, not reman
Old 05 Sep 2012, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

I finally got around to the timing belt job, it was a bear in the hot sun of summer but now it's back on the road. Thank you for your advice.
wwpptc likes this.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad to see you didn't let it die! Thanks for the update also. Injoy the ride!
wwpptc likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com