PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo vs Non-Turbo

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default Turbo vs Non-Turbo

Now I have a feeling this might have been asked before but what parts (transmission, diffs, other drive components) are different between the turbo and non-turbo pt cruisers? I was wondering if there is anything I need to switch out if I wanted to install a turbocharger eventually.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo vs Non-Turbo

Way too many parts and many many hours of labor. Your better off trading it in for a pt with a turbo already on it. You can even find a Turbo-Lite and beef that up if you need more power than the extra 30hp. Besides, both models of the turbo have beefed up motors to take the extra power. Your non-turbo, if you do spend the money and time, will only be able to take a couple pounds of boost on the stock motor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You have to swap the engine. It's almost cheaper, well it's way less labor intensive, to buy a new PT with turbo in it than to do the swap. The NA engines are not built to handle the rpms, pressure and beating that the turbo engines take. I'd never put a turbo on an NA engine unless you can insure that you hold your boost below 7 pounds. Now if you're holding boost down that low, then why even mess with a turbo?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 11:16 am
Young Cruiser

Darn... That's what I was afraid of but I kindof knew that was going to be the case... Ah well I was just toying with ideas in my head. Thanks for the information.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 01:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I understand that this could be complicated, however boost, on even a stock
2.4 is done very, very frequently, and there's a huge aftermarket for this engine.

You're correct you need to keep boost low, stock pistons and rods aren't very strong.

It's simple to get pistons and rods from SRT (I've heard they've raised prices)
and essentially make it a SRT engine.

The T-350 5 speed is also used stock with a turbo.
None of the manuals (inc'l SRT's T-850) are used with an all-out build- They have to modify autos.
I'd guess 400 HP isn't what you're after, though.

I'm by no means an expert or even a novice on turbocharging, if you want some reading there's reams and
reams of info on turbocharging the 2.4:

View forum - Forced Induction

Again, I'm not an expert but do know of so many guys that have done this that it'd be remiss of me not to bring up.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The rarity value of your car could be greatly affected if drastic mods are made. Value becomes an in the eyes of the beholder situation rather than what the car used to be.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:24 pm
Banned

As has been said, the N/A 2.4 has been turboed over and over and over again with great success by many racers over the last few years. Jeff Ball, Mike Ancas and a lot of other street/strip racers have done the little 2.4's proud. Most of the street/strippers have kept the stock n/a bottom ends and just used caution in the form of common sense to keep things together.

MX-5 has been been mentioned here from time to, but still everyone seems to forget that he simply added a 125 shot of nitrous, did some dyno tuneing and then proceeded to turn 15.20's CONSISTANTLY with a lowly 2.4 N/A AUTOMATIC!!!. Last I heard that was for over 100 trips down the 1/4 mile and that was YEARS ago. How quiclkly we forget. As far as I know that is the quickest stock block 2.4 automatic PT out there. Only one other has come close.

As far as the amount of boost you can dial in, Don't forget that the 7 or 8 pounds are actually tranlated to 15 or 16 or 17 pounds boost when you transplant a turbo into an N/A because the N/A starts out with 9.5 pounds compression as opposed to the 8.4 in the stock turbo engine.

As far as the Corvairs are concerned, yes wrapping them did help. My brother and I owned/operated a Speed/custom body shop for eight years all through the 60's and we had several happy "Spyder" customers as well as a couple olds "Jetfires". Unlike the PT, they weighed practically nothing and would fly!

Low-pt over at the crew has done several turbo PT conversions with mixed success so I'm not going to use him as an example for PT conversions. Chris-15 was one of his that is "down" right now.

Jerry
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Why not look into a supercharger I've a few of them on the N/A's . It is easier on the Engine , . Just my 2 cents worth
Old 20 Feb 2012, 03:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy9-03pt View Post
Why not look into a supercharger I've a few of them on the N/A's . It is easier on the Engine , . Just my 2 cents worth
I've never felt the supercharger on a PT was worth the effort.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I own both a turbo PT & a non turbo PT ...the list as Crewzin & others say is very long...way different engine in what Daimler Chrysler(the company back then) did to reinforce engine for turbo-actually lower compression,special oilers for pistons,different PCM,,,turbo PT's have stiffer suspensions,auto stick or getrag if 5speed..long list....(if I had a PCC & wanted to mod it up) drop in K&N & just show & enjoy it for what it is(different) maybe a shot of nitro in trunk) small...$500 for kit,,but don't turbo it..enjoy it! MJB