PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 PT Cruiser possible fan/electrical problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2012, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 PT Cruiser possible fan/electrical problem

Hi everyone.

I have been having some problems with my 07 PT Cruiser non turbo 2.4L base model. I don't know exactly what's wrong with her and there's a lot of possible things that may be wrong with her.

The first thing I noticed was my temperature would go up and down on the temp gauge (if that's what it's called), and that was not normal for my PT. After a few days, I noticed this smoke/steam that came out of the hood of the car while idling so I pulled over. The coolant reservoir was topped off and it was overflowing, so I checked the radiator; there was only a little bit of it in there.

The next day, I took my car to my mechanic to see what went wrong. He said I would need to change my thermostat and we did ($70 part + labor). The overflowing went away and now I think my fan (low speed) is not working properly.

I have read a few threads on here about the two different speeds of the fan; high and low, and how to test them. I have not performed any tests yet but my high speed fan kicks in when the temp gauge reaches the half mark and that would bring the hand back down to the normal operating temp.

I have also read that if you turn on your a/c, the low speed should kick in right away, but this is not the case. When the a/c is on, the car would "shake" and felt like it was gonna stall on me, then warm air would come out of the a/c vents.

I was told by my mechanic that it could be one of many things that could have gone wrong with my car, and the worst could be a blown head gasket or a cracked/warped head ($800).

I have spent 40 hours researching and I still don't have a clear picture of what could have gone wrong with her... I have a road trip coming up in April and it would be really nice if I can get this straightened out before then.

Pleas help?

Thanks.

Last edited by sixfeetunder; 19 Feb 2012 at 03:36 am. Reason: Missing information
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 PT Cruiser possible fan/electrical problem

Wait a minute. He changed the thermostat and that stopped the overflowing of the coolant out of the overflow bottle.

You'r having problems with the A/C and you've probably pin-pointed the problem of the fan not working properly.

Where does the cracked/warped head come into that? Are you still having overheating problems ....you said it was fixed with the thermostat.

Sounds like to me you only have a fan problem. Very common. When the fan is not working, the A/C gets hot and puts a severe strain on the engine. The steam you saw is the compressor letting off R134a into the atmosphere through the blow off valve. When it does that, you start getting warm air from the A/C.

If you can't do it yourself, have your mechanic replace the fan. You get them on eBay for about $100, or try local auto stores to see if they carry just the fan motor because that's all that you really need. You still have to take out the fan/housing to replace the motor. A two hour job at most.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 09:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

My pt starts to overheat at idle but the AC works fine while idling (but my pts AC has never been chilli just cool) does this mean its not my fan?

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 19 Feb 2012, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dill, first you have to check to see if the levels of R134a are correct. High pressure and low pressure have to be right for the maximum cold air. You too have to check and see if the fan is working on both speeds. At idle, no air is coming in from the front and everything depends on the fan. If you air gets colder when your cruising along, that's a sure sign of one speed of the fan not working.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. My mechanic said it could be a blown head gasket but I doubt it since I don't see any signs of a blown head gasket (i.e. oil and coolant mixing, bubbling coolant in radiator).

Does that mean that my compressor is broken too, or out of freon gas?

I really wanna do the fan replacement myself to save me some money. Is there a "sticky" for that?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, it doesn't mean the compressor is bad. The blowing of off pressure (R134a) is a way of saving the compressor. You might need a recharge.

We do have a sticky that I made but it's for an older cruiser. There might be a couple things different from yours.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Six, I know there's thread around here somewhere that deals with the fan install, can't remember where its at but its pretty simple. When putting in new coolant use the correct kind. I use Zerex from Napa, Walmart and most auto stores only carry universal coolants.

My pt stays cool at cruising speeds so ill wait to repair until the tax check comes. Till then ill avoid rush hour and downtown Raleigh.

I wouldn't think you'd have a blown gasket. You can get a pressure test to be sure, but don't let her overheat or you'll have warped head for sure!

Ill check my pt when the AC is on. If the fan doesn't come on it definitely would need a new motor right?

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks you guys. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

I'll be posting as soon as I get my new fan on (probably within the next few days).

Many thanks.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dill.

Correct. Start with a cold engine. Turn the motor on and idle. Turn the A/C on full, the fan should come on. (some say high speed, I say low) and as the coolant gets hotter, the fan should switch to high speed. You can hardly tell the low speed, very quiet. The high speed makes more noise than the engine so you can definitely tell when it's running.

Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Six - Definitely sounds like the fan to me. I had the same problem in my '07 Base and Crewzin pointed me to the fan and had it done under warranty and the AC and idle were back to normal.

Tags
gasket, head, head gasket, radiator fan, speed