PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Important Question Regarding bent Valves/Timing Belt

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2012, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Important Question Regarding bent Valves/Timing Belt

Hello all. I am sorry if this has been addressed in another thread, but from a quick glance, I did not see it anywhere. My timing belt broke the other day and I had my car towed to a local mechanic to replace the belt at his house. I ad another PT cruiser which had a timing belt break twice while driving down the road and had not problem having the belt replaced. It broke initially, and then the new belt broke a few weeks later by some strange occurrence. At any rate, my engine was fine both times.

Fast forward to a week ago. I have another cruiser, a 2003 turbo, and I am in a parking lot idling, and my car turns off. Not thinking much about it, I turn the car on again, and it starts and runs for another 15 seconds. It turns off then won't start.

After having the car towed to this mechanic, he tells me that the timing belt is the issue. He exposes it and shows me where it did not break, but the teeth for about a 6 inch section have been stripped off. He replaced the belt and then the car would not start. He tells me that it sounds like I might have some bent valves. I downloaded some issues from this forum board that other people have had with improper timing which might be an alternative explanation to the car not starting.

Well, to make a long story short, he took off the head and thing SEVEN valves might be bent. He says he registered zero compression in three cylinders and then 50% in the fourth. I asked him what he recommended I do and he says, "get a new engine." which is not an option. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am not going to replace my engine. might he be mistaken? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Important Question Regarding bent Valves/Timing Belt

I'll let the guys chime in that know more about the internal workings but it sounds fishy to me. We've only had 2 (used to be 1) owners have some internal damage when the belt broke and if memory serves me correctly, they were at speed when the belt let loose. Loads of others have had the belt break with no damage. You seem to have way too much damage for have a lot of teeth missing on the belt. Anythings possible but 1) I'd get another opinion, 2) wait for more knowledgeable people on this forum for some advice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like he's jumping to conclusions.

You can easily take the valve out and replace it with an unbent one, especially now that the head is off!!!

I'll post pics.

It's extremely doubtful that that many valves are bent; it more likely (close to certain) that he F' ed up the timing, your compression numbers are exactly why you would find if this were the case.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here's what I'd suggest;

Get the head yourself
Buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol

Place head upside down on a flat surface (spark plugs will need to be installed)

pour alcohol into chambers

Look for leaks.

If you get severe leakage, move head into a dark room.
Place flashlight into leakig port, look for light:

valves will 'seep', as there may be a bit of corrosion or specs of carbon in the seat.
You can 'bop' valve stem tip to slam shut, this'll dislodge the carbon.
In any case, don't worry a little seepage.
Obviously in the above case, no amount of 'bopping' is going to cure those two bent intakes!

If you find they're bent, just get replacements. Turbo's use special exhaust valves, many turbocharge their old / new stratus 2.4's with the stock valves.

Intakes will interchange all years, you will need to use correct keepers and retainers if using old Neon DOHC / stratus 2.4 valves (they're single groove)

All years '01 & up PT / stratus interchange, as noted turbo's are special material.

Please let me know if you need any help here, or parts.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Way to go Uptown!
Old 19 Feb 2012, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Important Question Regarding bent Valves/Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Way to go Uptown!
2Xs that one !
Old 19 Feb 2012, 08:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
2Xs that one !
On it like flies ain't he??!!
Old 19 Feb 2012, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
On it like flies ain't he??!!
Yep!!!
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys for the help! I am getting a second opinion tomorrow morning and will post additional information as I have it. Like I said, the car was idling when the belt gave out, and I was not at speed. When this mechanic put everything back together and did not start, he started coming up with these catastrophic guesses such as multiple valves being bent requiring a head job at a machine shop, and he even mentioned a camshaft might be broken. None of it even made sense to me considering the conditions under which this happened.

Of course, now that he had taken the head off, it is clear that the camshafts (both of them) are of course fine. I just thanked him for his time, took the car back, and did not even have him put it all back together. Time for another mechanic to reassemble and get the timing right. I am fairly certain that this is a timing issue. I'll find out soon and let everyone here know.

So, if a valve or two is bent, I can probably just get by with replacing the valves huh? No machine shop machining the head? Thanks! Uptown, I'll get back to you!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good news - the valves are fine - the initial mechanic had the timing wrong. My car is running as smoothly as ever. There is one problem, however, the car is running hot and makes me wonder if the coolant level is low. Will check in the morning after it is completely cool. The fan is blowing loudly as well. The mechanic wants me to bring it back tomorrow to make sure everything is plugged in as it is supposed to be. At any rate, this is a small issue compared to what I was looking at a couple of days ago. Woo Hoo!