Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C issue and Tie Rod ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Default A/C issue and Tie Rod ?

First off my neighbor(certified mechanic) has always worked on my car. he knows pretty much everything on my car. this weekend we tried to replace the front tie rods and apparently u need a special tool of some sort to remove the tie rods? any ideas?

2nd my a/c has stopped working. the compressor does not kick on nor does the fan.fan was replaced not even a year ago. we found that the socket that plugs into the switch on the back of the compressor does not seem to work. he can jump the switch by grounding it which causes everything to turn on. i am guessing the socket or wire is bad. tried looking up replacement parts but no avail. any ideas?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: A/C issue and Tie Rod ?

For the inner tie rods you need to use this tool.

Lisle Inner Tie Rod Tool | Wayfair
Old 20 Feb 2012, 09:13 am
Regular Cruiser

thanks i appreciate it. i wonder if u can buy that locally? oreillys , autozone, etc
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadgreek187 View Post
First off my neighbor(certified mechanic) has always worked on my car. he knows pretty much everything on my car. this weekend we tried to replace the front tie rods and apparently u need a special tool of some sort to remove the tie rods? any ideas?

2nd my a/c has stopped working. the compressor does not kick on nor does the fan.fan was replaced not even a year ago. we found that the socket that plugs into the switch on the back of the compressor does not seem to work. he can jump the switch by grounding it which causes everything to turn on. i am guessing the socket or wire is bad. tried looking up replacement parts but no avail. any ideas?
Outer tie rods, any body with mechanical ability can change. Inners requires a a special tool available at the parts store. Maybe can rent. On the ac did you check to see if the freon leaked out?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

a/c freon has not leaked. apparently the wire connecting to the HPS must have a bad ground. he is going to see about bypassing the bad ground and just running a new wire altogether. called the Chrysler dealership and their suggestion was too buy new harness for the wiring but replacing that would be a PITA and $$$$$. car has 175k and i'm not dumping much more into it.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
a/c freon has not leaked. apparently the wire connecting to the HPS must have a bad ground. he is going to see about bypassing the bad ground and just running a new wire altogether. called the Chrysler dealership and their suggestion was too buy new harness for the wiring but replacing that would be a PITA and $$$$$. car has 175k and i'm not dumping much more into it.
Don't blame ya on the harness. Might go through all the chasey grounds in engine bay. Think there is some under the battery, I think. Bet there is a ground location schematic in this forum somewhere. Its got everything else! If your not getting ground there it will show up somewhere else later.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 08:44 am
Regular Cruiser

ok got the tie rods done and the car aligned. drives like brand new! now my AC issue. it appears there may be a short in the wire plugging into the High Pressure switch on the compressor. my mechanic can bypass the wire but the AC will run continuously and that won't be good. any other tricks to try as i don't wanna shell out a ton of money?
Old 02 Mar 2012, 02:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

so update to my a/c issue. seems as though they are thinking my wiring harness is bad. thats $1000 im not throwing into this car. i'm cutting my losses and buying a new car. my pt has served me well since 05. too many issues down the stretch. thanks for all on here who provide useful information.
Old 02 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
so update to my a/c issue. seems as though they are thinking my wiring harness is bad. thats $1000 im not throwing into this car. i'm cutting my losses and buying a new car. my pt has served me well since 05. too many issues down the stretch. thanks for all on here who provide useful information.
Good luck with the new ride!