PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Done with the air intake. Now onto the exhaust.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2012, 02:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Done with the air intake. Now onto the exhaust.....

So I replaced the air box on my 2003 non-turbo base model with a K&N stage 2 intake and now want to move on to the exhaust. So which make/design do I go for? Iím looking at a Magnaflow cat-back single 2.25 outlet. Ideally I want an increase in BHP and so far you guys havenít steered me wrong,so whatís best??
Silver '03 NA, K&N Gen 2 Cold Air Intake, Borla Cat back 2.25 dual out, 18" Gunmetal Drag DR-19's , 225/40 ZR18, Tokico Blue shocks and struts with Eibach Pro springs. Soon (money and wife permitting) PTeazer front fascia w/ retro grill, power cowl hood and rear rollpan. In the back of my mind: Kenne Bell Optimizer II (If I can find one).
Old 20 Feb 2012, 02:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Done with the air intake. Now onto the exhaust.....

I had the Borla dual and a Airaid intake on my wife's N/A and I felt the difference when I removed them...I guess it will give you a better throttle response.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have the Volant intake and Borla single exit exhaust on mine. Not sure if it makes any more power than stock but I think it sounds much better. Both have been on the car for 10 years now, since it was a few months old.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:35 am
Banned

The Borla is fine. It has a reputation for lasting a long time and sounds just right for the PT. Not to loud, as in no drone at any rpm. I've known MANY N/A PT owners over the years that did just the muffler swap with particular brands before actually hearing that brand while driving down the road. Usually there will be bad to horrible drone at the same rpm as you go through each gear. It usually makes cruiseing from say 60 to maybe 75 pure torture when going on trips. When you get out of the car after a trip your ears will be ringing. Most of them get rid of the them quickly after the first time out, but unfortunantly some are to proud to admit their mistake and say to themselves "it's not to bad, I can live with it". They end up hateing to drive the car. It takes all the fun out of driveing it and they don't like their car anymore. There is also the distinct possability that the local gendarme will ticket them sooner or later. Right Cary?

Their are some other "cat-back" complete sytems out that are just as good as the Borla. Usually it's when you replace just the muffler that you run into problems. On an N/A an exhaust upgrade won't "NORMALLY" give you more than 2 or 3 horsepower at the most, but they sound great.

Jerry
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmansnuts View Post
So I replaced the air box on my 2003 non-turbo base model with a K&N stage 2 intake and now want to move on to the exhaust. So which make/design do I go for? Iím looking at a Magnaflow cat-back single 2.25 outlet. Ideally I want an increase in BHP and so far you guys havenít steered me wrong,so whatís best??
Remember to keep the stock box so you can sell it to someone that is wanting to go back to stock, but with the "air box mod" or better yet, just put it in the "for sale" section now.

Jerry
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:36 am
Young Cruiser

Great advice again guys. I guess the choice of a dual or single out pipe, is purely an aesthetic one. And Jerry, thats really good advice. I learnt that the hard way back in my Mini Cooper days.
Silver '03 NA, K&N Gen 2 Cold Air Intake, Borla Cat back 2.25 dual out, 18" Gunmetal Drag DR-19's , 225/40 ZR18, Tokico Blue shocks and struts with Eibach Pro springs. Soon (money and wife permitting) PTeazer front fascia w/ retro grill, power cowl hood and rear rollpan. In the back of my mind: Kenne Bell Optimizer II (If I can find one).
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

btw, I'm getting a 3" system, so I can sell you my Borla system if you want...

Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

How much with shipping to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70726 zip? I like the dual out pipe but (and forgive my ignorance) what do I do about body clearance for the additional out pipe?
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Remember these two rules:
  • NA - needs back-pressure or you lose BHP (going with larger ID pipe is not always a good idea!)
  • TURBO - needs to breathe, reduce back-pressure to get slight increase in BHP (going with a larger ID pipe is a great idea!)

If you falter on either one, you're costing yourself power at the wheels....
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmansnuts View Post
How much with shipping to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70726 zip? I like the dual out pipe but (and forgive my ignorance) what do I do about body clearance for the additional out pipe?
You just need to cut another "half a moon" hole in the bumper cover...I'll PM price later today