PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 intake manifold bolts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 intake manifold bolts

Greetings Cruisers,
I am a brand new member and a new PT owner. I purchased an 02 with 101k miles. It had a little shudder in the idle and occasional hesitation in acceleration, so I put in new plugs and wires, air filter, pcv. Now the idle roams a little but no danger of stall. Is this normal, like the computer is adjusting to the new components? I've only driven about 20 miles with the new parts.

One thing I had trouble with was the intake manifold bolts. I read here to torque to 20 lbs, but mine just keep turning with no discernable change in torque so I stop for fear of stripping them. No sign of vacuum leak using WD40.

Any advice is appreciated. The forum has been very helpful already, thanks!
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: 02 intake manifold bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdubXXL View Post
Greetings Cruisers,
I am a brand new member and a new PT owner. I purchased an 02 with 101k miles. It had a little shudder in the idle and occasional hesitation in acceleration, so I put in new plugs and wires, air filter, pcv. Now the idle roams a little but no danger of stall. Is this normal, like the computer is adjusting to the new components? I've only driven about 20 miles with the new parts.

One thing I had trouble with was the intake manifold bolts. I read here to torque to 20 lbs, but mine just keep turning with no discernable change in torque so I stop for fear of stripping them. No sign of vacuum leak using WD40.

Any advice is appreciated. The forum has been very helpful already, thanks!
I never use a torque wrench...just tight them by heart....
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:40 pm
Banned

Don't know where you read that 20 lbs. is correct for the intake bolts. The correct torque is 105 INCH lbs., not FOOT lbs. and I think that loosely translates to around 9 FOOT lbs. It's also to small of a reading to trust a foot/lb. torque wrench to read correctly in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and get an inch/lb. torque wrench. You'll use it a bunch if you plan on doing very much yourself in the future. Most of the stuff in engine compartment require inch/lb. torque settings.

Most importantly, get yourself a Haynes PT cruiser repair manual and you'll be able to have it right on the PTs fender when you need it and avoid some possably costly errors in the future.

By the way, if your bolts on the intake are spinnings its PROBABLY because you have stripped the soft brass inserts that are in the female half of the nut/bolt insert of the intake halves. If too much torque is applied the inserts themselves break free and start spinning in the intake.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 17 Mar 2012 at 05:35 pm.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry but I think you over did it. if it keeps turning, I think you stripped the threads in the plastic intake.

The torque is supposed to be 105 in-lbs. 105 in lbs = 8.75 ft lbs??? Not very much but way below your 20 lbs.

The upper and lower intakes are plastic and so are the threads that the 5 long bolts go into.

Damn, you type faster than I do Jerry.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:49 pm
Banned

Cary, at my age that's the only thing I can do fast. On second thought I take that back.

Jerry
Old 20 Feb 2012, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm... i'm almost certain I read on hear somewhere that years 01-02 the torque is 20 ft lbs and 03 up is 105 in lbs. I know ehow.com states 20 ft lbs, but it's a moot point now I suppose.

At any rate, all 5 of them still seem to have good grip at the moment so i'm going to let sleeping dogs lie for now.

The Haynes is definitely on my list, already got a good in lb/ft lb torque wrench.

thanks guys!
Old 20 Feb 2012, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I found out where you got the 20 lbs from.

Turbocharged Models. 03+ Upper intake manifold bolts 20 Ft-lbs.

Manly because the turbo models have the cast aluminum (or whatever they have) manifold. That can take a lot more torque than the plastic ones.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm thinking that manifold is slowly going to work itself free and I can hear the hissing of vacuum in the near future. If you more that doubled the torque on those upper manifold bolts and inserts, then they have to be stripped, so what may seem tight is a sneaky problem that will only get worse as the normal vibration of the motor works the manifold up and the gaskets no longer seal.

Tim
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:55 pm
Young Cruiser

The stripped problem could be am easy fix though right? Just re-tap the holes and use slightly bigger bolts? Correct me if I'm wrong please
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not an expert, but think that would work. There's seems to be plenty of room around the holes to go a bit bigger. Do all 5 bolts turn when seated?